Beta evo 250 exhaust repacking

lonewolf

Just do the straight bit. Beta sell a packing sheath to make the job really easy and guarantee the correct amount of packing. Make sure you burn off the metal pipe that runs through the silencer before you repack.

I also burn off the whole exhaust whilst the silencer is off. I just pour petrol down it and let it burn off. Slow running trials engines have coked up exhausts. Don't burn off the alloy silencer though. I just soak that in a good degreaser overnight. The exhaust then polishes up again with some wire wool Brillo pad.

The bike sounds crisp after the repack and burn off of exhaust.

IMG_20230220_164526321.jpg

Edited by gazzaecowarrior

4 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I seen that you can get a preformed one but it looks like it does the large part too not just the end.

A lot of the packing is inside the end cap too. The steel metal pipe that terminates at the end of the rubber bung inside the end cap has holes in it. Just make sure the packing covers these holes. I put the preformed sheath over the steel tube, then slide the end of the tube into the rubber grommet in the end cap, then push the whole thing into the body of the silencer. I use a long screwdriver to make sure the packing doesn't get stuck when advancing it into the aluminium silencer body.

The preformed sheath only goes on the aerated steel tube. Part of which is housed in the end cap and the rest in the upper body of the silencer. The aerated tube slots into a hole at either end. You can't put it anywhere else. The old packing should be wrapped around the aerated steel tube when you pull it out. It will be a black sooty mess. Any residual bits you can just pick out.

I've added a photo. Packing goes on the highlighted blue but.

Screenshot_20230226-063359~3.png

Edited by gazzaecowarrior