90s beta ignition systems

Tallpaulself

Hi all.

I've a 97 beta techno Dougie Lampkin replica which I bought for a decent price as it had no spark. This bike has a separate CDI to the coil and original coil is a blue Ducati one with only two wires, a live feed and an earth.

I managed to get a spark with this set up however the wires entering the coil are on their last legs. I've also a (newer?) Coil pack with integrated CDI, the one with 4 spade connectors and an earth wire. 2 green, 1 red and 1 white inputs.

If I were to use this instead, is it as simple as doing away with the stand alone CDI and taking the green, red and white wires from the stator straight to this newer CDI/coil? 

The yellow would remain going to the cooling system.

This only leaves the black wire from stator left. Any info on what this does greatly received.

Apologies if this all seems stupid or obvious. I'm new to motorbike wiring.

Thanks

Edited by Tallpaulself
Typos

Not really answering your question but I aren't all coils for CDIs similar?  Could you use a pit bike coil?  IIRC, there are inductive (battery powered) and capacitive discharge ignition coils and they have different resistance values.  You could measure to compare.  

What brand is the stator?

Edited by mcman56
add battery

4 minutes ago, mcman56 said:

Not really answering your question but I aren't all coils for CDIs similar?  Could you use a pit bike coil?  IIRC, there are inductive (battery powered) and capacitive discharge ignition coils and they have different resistance values.  You could measure to compare.  

What brand is the stator?

This is what I ended up doing. 

It dawned on me yesterday that I had a spare coil for my son's 49cc Chinese quad. Hooked it up and bingo, a decent spark. 

Now to move on to timing/check Woodruff key as it's only turning a few times and kicking back like a good un

I'm not sure if this helps but I had a Techno and it was likely a 1997.  I once put a timing light on it and got 6 degrees at idle,  20 at mid range and 25 to 30 at full scream.  If the CDI advance stuck at full advance it may kick back. 

In contrast a 2008 Rev3 200 had 15 degrees BTDC at idle and revved up got 20 degrees  I'm not an EE but from my understanding, an ignition with no designed in advance will give you about 5 degrees due to higher generated voltages at higher RPMs making things happen a little quicker.         

1 hour ago, mcman56 said:

I'm not sure if this helps but I had a Techno and it was likely a 1997.  I once put a timing light on it and got 6 degrees at idle,  20 at mid range and 25 to 30 at full scream.  If the CDI advance stuck at full advance it may kick back. 

In contrast a 2008 Rev3 200 had 15 degrees BTDC at idle and revved up got 20 degrees  I'm not an EE but from my understanding, an ignition with no designed in advance will give you about 5 degrees due to higher generated voltages at higher RPMs making things happen a little quicker.         

That's a great help, and thanks!

That was going to be the first thing I checked after making sure the woodruff was all ok. I know the stator has been rewound and hasn't seen use since so in theory should be fine

One thing that puzzles me is that my bike has a cdi that's separate from the coil unit. Almost every forum and Google search of coil for this bike brings us a combined CDI/coil in 1 unit.

The manual wiring diagram shows that my bike is right as it is. So why does everything point to otherwise?

Did beta change to combined unit on later models?