How old does a bike have to be ? To be a classic?

Peabody

Interesting.. everything about trials.. bikes and the people , are interesting.

Some of these older twin shock bikes are as old as me.. how in the world do you guys find parts to keep them going ?

Just wondering about? Say I found an older gas gas ? (1999) A 270 to be exact.. will I be able to get parts ? Someone told me it would be difficult.. but, then I see these old classics restored..

They are beautiful 😍 what's strange to me is... Why do I have an opinion? I know what looks/ style of bike I like.

I like the looks of the gas gas bikes.. 

We'll, truthfully.. they all look basically the same to me. Maybe it's because I like to say "Gas Gas" ..?? How dumb is that ?

We both know , you and I ..

That all I'll ever do is putt putt around the woods and my yard 

Maybe I'll learn a few things. And get better..hope so.?  

"Some of these older twin-shock bikes are older than me".  Some bikes aren't as old as they might appear.  You can buy a Drayton C15/B40/Bantam, which was built last week but is apparently eligible to ride in Pre 65 events. Or, what about a brand new Villiers or Greeves - all eligible too, apparently! 

If you are considering buying a modernish Monoshock trials bike then the newer, the better, because some spares for the early ones are virtually unavailable and costs for rare spares can soon add up and go way beyond the actual value of the bike.

• Like 1

To use your 1999 Gasgas 280 as any example guards are likely to be the hardest parts to get, a lot of the engine parts were used in all their 250cc plus bikes for multiple years. 

I'm not sure whether KTM is interested in supplying parts for the bikes prior to their ownership of GasGas so that may mean certain parts take some time to source

Bikes like the 99/2000 Shercos have different plastics & exhaust to the later bikes but the engines share parts up until 2009/10 when the cooling system changed, it looks like the plastics are still available but the graphics aren't so they'd need copying, have the same problem with my Jarvis Replica

20 hours ago, stpauls said:

"Some of these older twin-shock bikes are older than me".  Some bikes aren't as old as they might appear.  You can buy a Drayton C15/B40/Bantam, which was built last week but is apparently eligible to ride in Pre 65 events. Or, what about a brand new Villiers or Greeves - all eligible too, apparently! 

If you are considering buying a modernish Monoshock trials bike then the newer, the better, because some spares for the early ones are virtually unavailable and costs for rare spares can soon add up and go way beyond the actual value of the bike.

Now I have to look up what a Drayton is..

Amazing how much I don't know....