Rear Rim Band Replacement

miner

As above… anything to watch out for?

Bike (07 250 TXT Pro) has a rideable slow puncture. Band was replaced a couple of years ago with the tyres and the rear rim. It was leaking after being rebuilt by the shop, they sealed it and also trued the wheel up. Wary of what I’m going to find when I pop the tyre off… maybe it’ll be as simple as swapping the band?🤪

There are many that say that style of rim will always leak and is impossible to seal.

Best / Easiest fix is to buy a new rim with the 2 piece turnbuckle style spokes.  No rim band, no leaks.

I did replace a rim band on a 2003 GasGas more than 5 years ago, it sealed up just fine and had no leaks for years. (I did break off a sprocket mounting tab on the hub.... but that's a story for a different day)

Use a lot of patience and soapy water when installing the new rim band, I suggest a band with the valve stem integrated in the band.

Thoroughly and meticulously clean the rim before installing the new band. Use rounded tire irons (tire spoons), no sharp edges, to stretch the band into place.

Use much soapy water and carefully work the band into the groove in the rim. do not use anything sharp or pointed to push the band into place.  the band must fit under the lip in the groove.

I used the backside of a dental pick, the rounded portion so the point was sticking up away from the band.

Also check out this video from Jim Snell, dude has much experience and knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k290LeBasws

• Thanks 1