TY250A swingarm - bushings or bearings?

I've been lurking for a long time and have started reassembly of my ty250A. I'm trying to order parts for the rear swingarm and can't find much information using the site's search.

Has anybody had success with this kit that appears to replace the stock bushings and dustcaps with needle bearings and brass endcaps?

https://www.francetrialclassic.com/en/frame/4963-yamaha-ty-125-175-250-rear-arm-bushing-kit.html

I originally noticed an identical kit on ebay but the description was vague and I wasn't sure if it would fit. This seems to be the only trials specific website that lists this kit, everywhere else just carries the oem style bushings and dustcaps.

What do you guys think?

I turned brass bushings to replace the OEM plastic ones and that worked really well.  The open cup needles you linked to call for a hardened axle and not just the big bolt they put on the stock bike.  

Edited by lemur

If you can get a properly hardened inner bush for the rollers to run on that that kit would probably be OK. I bought a similar kit to the one in you link a few years ago and fitted it along with a new (aftermarket) inner bush, but with only a little use, the rollers wore through what turned out to be very thin surface hardening.

I think they would be fine with a new, genuine Yamaha inner bush

The standard TY175/250 plastic bushings fit a very wide range of Yamaha models

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

I think the only reason my home built bushings worked good was because of quality control 😆 by turning your own bushes you can fit the spindle to the brass with just the right clearance for the grease you pump in there.  

I have found the original plastic bushes work fine and last well,

the most important thing being to make sure there is plenty of decent water proof grease everywhere to cover the steel bolt and other steel parts ,as otherwise the rust that forms is what wears the plastic bushes ( and will do the same to brass bushes or needle bearings)

Edited by djr
Spelling

Thank you guys very much, I'll give the bearings a shot since I have the original steel inner bushing/tube. Ordered some shocks and misc. pieces as well, shipping from the uk is painful but I can't wait to hop on this bike again. The dualsport just doesn't cut it when it comes to playing around in the woods and climbing obstacles and I miss the sound of a 2-stroke so much.

1 hour ago, 56k said:

Thank you guys very much, I'll give the bearings a shot since I have the original steel inner bushing/tube. Ordered some shocks and misc. pieces as well, shipping from the uk is painful but I can't wait to hop on this bike again. The dualsport just doesn't cut it when it comes to playing around in the woods and climbing obstacles and I miss the sound of a 2-stroke so much.

If your inner bush is worn or pitted, it will not work well with rollers

• Like 1

Keep us updated on how this works out for you please.

I have some plans for my TY175 and using needle rollers (like most "moderns") was one of the options I was considering. Obviously standard was also in the mix but these EZI Glide things worked really well on the Ossa Tr280. I have access to some thick wall 7075 T6 alloy tube and was thinking of making a replacement for the big bush and use threaded bolts from each end instead of the swing arm bolt.

EZU.jpg