Sherco 0.8

bikespace

What's this all about. Imagine your kid has outgrown the 'rev and go' 50's and needs a bigger bike to progress in the C class.

As a Sherco owner already the Sherco 80 seems a good buy.

So it would seem as simple as going to the shop and buying one.

"Is he going to ride the nationals?"

"Yep - probably."

"Ahh - Can't buy a Sherco 80 then because the limit for C class is going to be 80cc."

"What d'ya mean, it is an 80 I'm buying isn't it???"

"Well the Sherco 80 is 99.5cc"

DOH!!!!!

Seems like there is a big hole in the market. I don't know why manufacturers can't make an engine with decent power under 80cc.

Are cc's smaller than they used to be in old money :huh:

My daughter has the GG 70 and thinks it's great. We started her on this bike last March and were a bit worried at first as she had never ridden a motorbike before, as this bike is the same size, frame wise, as my GG 125. The 50 would have been too small, she was 9 (almost 10) at the time. Over the year she has really progressed and there will be no need to upgrade her for a while yet, she's getting along nicely on the 70.

:( In July 03 ,I watched along with several others.. as Ray Peters rode the then new Rev 80 . On some of the most difficult sections at the TTC gate trials.. he cleaned them with ease ( mind you these were easily national Expert level sections)..It was his first time on the bike..He impressed all of us , with how much low end the motor had .. the suspention was awsome .. the bike has performed extremely well and has had no major teething problems, new bikes at any level can have these , but this bike has been quite solid .. many people who have owned the gg 70 have stated that the Beta motor has loads more torque and is smaller because of a mid sized frame... My point about Ray was this bike should be excellent for a child for a few years .. learning technique is essential on the smaller displacement bikes .. as the motor cannot save you as easy.. many people put there kids on bikes that are too big for them and the habits they form (from a bike too big) are hard to overcome.. kids who learn on small displacement bikes will accel faster in this sport .. Look at Will Ibsen for example.. Bill is on the right track.. My son also rides the small bore and has unbelievable technique for someone his size... he can ride a 200 or 250 but we will stay on the small bore wagon a little longer... Good luck in your choice :huh: Edited by Ron

Mmmm, 04 US national entry forms are out, high school class ages 10-17 can ride any size of machine they wish! providing they have a long sleeve shirt on :huh:

Europe are proposeing restricting the junior world round riders to 125, seems a little backward to me.

I have seen the little 100lb kid on the 250 + machines and dad saying he can get up owt on it, :(

I notice the kid on the bike the right size, or even a little too small rides a lot more confident than the Kid blowing in the wind as the try to hang on to a full size machine.

D'oh. Just re-read this. The Sherco like the Beta REV50 is a "Small" wheeled Manual bike. As such they are designed for "D" class at the moment. Most of the Juniors in YG's small wheels go to the REV50 from the Autos at the moment. It's easier to handle and they compete on the same courses. They tend to be in between the Full size Bike and the TY80/autos. The Sherco can still complete in this class as it is the same size wheels as the REV50. I have only only seen one tho. (And REV80's and GG70/80's compete as well). My Sons old REV50 was sold to a lad doing just that moving from a Beta Auto 50 and according to his dad he has cut his marks total in half and as he has bedded in on the bike is going to win very Soon (Nice ride sunday Ricky).

HOWEVER the 80 cc limit for C class is not going to be implemented for a while yet. (This was documented on a thread when we were all on TA Forum). So It does'nt matter at the moment that its 100cc as the current 125 limit will continue for at least two more years. By which time U should be in B class which will be 125cc anyway. I would be wary about C class if He hasn't ridden a manual before. Four have moved up from Small wheels in YG and they are finding the Sections difficult on C class 125's in club trials. In beginners trials you should be okay. :huh:

P.S. Seen two new Beta 80's with starting problems. Don't know what they are but last years didn't have em.

Edited by jemhunt

It's actually a mate of mine in the quandry. My lads still on a TY80 for now.

Rathmell seemed to think that it was coming in sooner than 2 years time, but he's going to have to check that out.

I think his other concern is that it will be worth nowt in a couple of years, which, if it doesn't fit in to any class may well be a problem.

It was the Nationals that caused the concern. I don't think there's too much concern over engine size in local trials.