Drain oil after water pump seal failure

MattAtreides

Quick question regarding draining the oil after my water pump seal failed on my 2004 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125. I've replaced all the water pump components with a new kit (shaft seal, impeller, circlip etc) and wanted to ask about draining the sump. Obviously there was water ingress into the oil so my question is how do I go about ensuring I have gotten all the water out of the sump? 

Edited by MattAtreides

22 minutes ago, MattAtreides said:

Quick question regarding draining the oil after my water pump seal failed on my 2004 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125. I've replaced all the water pump components with a new kit (shaft seal, impeller, circlip etc) and wanted to ask about draining the sump. Obviously there was water ingress into the oil so my question is how do I go about ensuring I have gotten all the water out of the sump? 

To get milky oil out of the gearbox you drain the milky oil out the drain hole or by taking the clutch cover off and put dry oil in, go for a ride then drain that oil out then put dry oil in and go for another ride. Usually by then the oil is visually free of milkiness. If it is still a bit milky, drain it again and put in dry oil again.

It's not a big deal/damaging/dangerous to ride with milky gearbox oil. The action of the clutch might be a little different to normal. The oil is designed to keep the water away from the metal bits by encapsulating the water as billions of microscopic globules. The water globules are why the oil looks milky to the naked eye.

• Thanks 2

Evaporation 🤓 I dropped a whole motorcycle in the lake once and evaporation eventually worked.

Clutch plates absorb water and swell; pull the clutch friction plates and dry them in the sun, then check them for flatness and thickness to determine if they need replacement.  The rubberized cork friction plates are the only part in the transmission that can absorb water, everything else will just rust.

... plan on doing oil changes more frequently for a while.

Edited by lemur