Medical and Eye Test

trapezeartist

I've just renewed my trials registration for 2024 and the ACU have come back asking for a medical (because I'm over 70) and an eye test (because I am over 55, though never needed one before). They have to be filled out by a doctor and optician, which is obviously going to be an expensive business. Is this for real? Or another quirky mistake from the Sport 80 system? If it is real I think I will stick to AMCA in future as the cost and hassle won't be worth it for just a couple of trials a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

I've just renewed my trials registration for 2024 and the ACU have come back asking for a medical (because I'm over 70) and an eye test (because I am over 55, though never needed one before). They have to be filled out by a doctor and optician, which is obviously going to be an expensive business. Is this for real? Or another quirky mistake from the Sport 80 system? If it is real I think I will stick to AMCA in future as the cost and hassle won't be worth it for just a couple of trials a year.

Lets hope it's just more ACU incompetence!

Like you, I've never been asked to have an eye test (l'm 67 and had a licence continuously for years).

Likewise I've never heard of over 70s needing a medical for trials, and I'm sure I would have done so if it was the case.

Please let us know how it gets resolved for you.

I just spoke to someone at the ACU and was told that neither test is required for trials, only road racing. When I said "So it's just another Sport 80 cock-up then?" she simply said "Yes." The very helpful lady is going to get the info taken off my record so it won't bother me further. (Hopefully).