Marzocchi fork on 2009 txt pro, fork seals

garydwall

I fitted new seals and am a bit baffled.

One seal is leaking. No scratches on fork leg but you can see the oil bubbling up very slowly past the seal. 

Seal is in the correct way, open side facing the oil....

Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Gary

Make or buy a tool  a tool like a ' Motion Pro Fork seal mate' cleaning  tool and slide it down the gap between the seal and the chromed or NON STICK surface treated STANCHION of the leaking seal and slide it round the entire  inner part of the seal and see if that stops it leaking , if it still leaks then you need to take it all apart again and this time fit new top and bottom bushes and also fit a new seal just to eliminate the possibility of the other seal that you already fitted having a problem , trust me on this I have spent my life working on bikes .cars,  trucks and it could just stop you from having to strip it down a third time and so it will be worth every penny of extra expense

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tr1AL said:

Make or buy a tool  a tool like a ' Motion Pro Fork seal mate' cleaning  tool and slide it down the gap between the seal and the chromed or NON STICK surface treated STANCHION of the leaking seal and slide it round the entire  inner part of the seal and see if that stops it leaking , if it still leaks then you need to take it all apart again and this time fit new top and bottom bushes and also fit a new seal just to eliminate the possibility of the other seal that you already fitted having a problem , trust me on this I have spent my life working on bikes .cars,  trucks and it could just stop you from having to strip it down a third time and so it will be worth every penny of extra expense

Thank you very much for your reply.  

I see you mention the bushes, can old bushes cause the seals to leak? I guess with movement it could allow a leak,  but I can't feel any play between the stancion and bushes...

3 minutes ago, garydwall said:

Thank you very much for your reply.  

I see you mention the bushes, can old bushes cause the seals to leak? I guess with movement it could allow a leak,  but I can't feel any play between the stancion and bushes...

If the seals still leak after you change the seal it is usually the bushes that need changing, to make sure this is not the case then do the seal clean tool and if that does not stop it try putting another new seal in it . If you do not fancy changing the bushes., Perhaps your fork seal lip spring has broken during fitting or it got ripped when you put the Stanchion in Also it may have pin hole in it near the lip etc. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garydwall said:

Thank you very much.  I'll try order the bushes 

You could check your stanchion is not bent before ordering the bushes , It is unlikely but there are a quite a few possible reasons these things happen.

• Thanks 1