Fantic 249r 1994 clutch

hrc450

Using mineral oil for any hydraulic application that won't end up oiling your brake pads is a brilliant move.  To minimize the number of fluids that you use for maintenance buy Honing or Sharpening Stone Oil which is food safe mineral oil and excellent for lubricating anything that needs a light oil.  Norton brand is what I've used for decades in all kinds of applications and it costs ~20$ per quart which will last you almost a life time if you only use it on your motorcycles.  

On 2/3/2024 at 10:58 PM, Tr1AL said:

Mineral oil in a AJP clutch in 1994/1995 , really!  who used  mineral oil in a clutch in 1994/95  have you got any actual information you can provide to back that up ,  I would like to see it. I will be glad to apologise for misleading the OP when you provide the 249r manual or a site page showing that AJP clutch master cylinders and slaves were using mineral fluid in 1994/95.. 

Yeah, the Fantic came out with a hydraulic clutch on the 93 model. It originally had a trials bicycle brake master cylinder and they sent out Ajp's with the dot 4 scratch out with no instructions. I was a Fantic dealer. Lucky me I was the first guy in the states that had to source the inner seal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just like the 95 section ran like crap until they came out with a new intake manifold at the correct angle. The 95 thermo stats never worked, so we wired the fan to run all the time. 

95 was also a bad year for gas gas. The fork seal holder was replaced on all the bikes.The first National was quite interesting that year. Fantic had a line for intake manifolds and Gas Gas for the seal holders.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:58 PM, Tr1AL said:

Mineral oil in a AJP clutch in 1994/1995 , really!  who used  mineral oil in a clutch in 1994/95  have you got any actual information you can provide to back that up ,  I would like to see it. I will be glad to apologise for misleading the OP when you provide the 249r manual or a site page showing that AJP clutch master cylinders and slaves were using mineral fluid in 1994/95.. 

Yeah, the Fantic came out with a hydraulic clutch on the 93 model. It originally had a trials bicycle brake master cylinder and they sent out Ajp's with the dot 4 scratch out with no instructions. I was a Fantic dealer. Lucky me I was the first guy in the states that had to source the inner seal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lineaway said:

That sounds so preposterous that it has to be true , in those years when trials bikes were developed in small sheds .You having to source the inner seal yourself is what sold it to me. So they carried on with that method from 1993 to 1995 and the 249R and on with the Section model also is that correct? 

23 hours ago, hrc450 said:

The clutch slave cylinder is located outside the engine,on clutch lever as Tr1AL said,All the best Tj

You have hit the Jackpot Terry, Lineaway was a FANTIC dealer back in the day he will know everything you need to know about your bike.

It was the same type system through the 93- 98 I believe. I think I still have some bruchures and litature laying around in my filing cabinet from those years. At that time all I knew was about dot 4 or dot 5 since that is what Snell used to push in the Gas Gas bikes in the states.

• Like 1