Txt280 Fork Seals

ali

Just done mine Ali, pretty easy job to do. Undo top clamps on both fork legs and crack off both big nuts (don't undo yet)- don't try to undo nuts without undoing top clamps!.Front wheel off and take out fork legs one at a time. Undo top nut fully and tip out old oil from leg, next undo allen bolt in bottom of leg (this lets you seperate both parts of leg)remove dust covers carefully - I used mine again but you could replace these if you want.Next step is to remove wire clip that is on top of seal,with a terminal screwdriver, then pull sharply on both ends of leg this dislodges and finally brings out seal and top of leg. That last step may take a few tries as seals are obviously good fit, thoroughly drain out all old oil then assemble leg tightening allen bolt up in bottom of leg.Cut corner off plastic jiffy bag and put over top stanchion, oil up seal and push onto leg over bag (bag stops seal damage).The final fitting required the use of a piece of long pipe to drive seal into final position, pipe ensures hitting seal on its outer diameter and not damaging working faces.Refit wire clip and dust seal and fill with 300ml of fork oil.Tighten top nut by hand, when both legs back in yolks tighten bottom clamps, then tighten top nuts fully, then lock up top clamps. How about that for a comprehensive answer to your question. ;)

I just did mine on my 02 Pro using the same technique. Pulling the fork tube from the slider took a few good yanks (clank, clank) for the seal to release and for them to separate. And I used a 2' or so length of 1.5" and 2" pvc pipe to drive in the original seals and wipers back in. The one previously leaky seal has stopped for now, and it was the easiest disassembly I've ever done since everything went to upside down forks.

Check a manual for the quantity. Mine was 300cc.

Edited by cdn280

Just done mine Ali, pretty easy job to do. Undo top clamps on both fork legs and crack off both big nuts (don't undo yet)- don't try to undo nuts without undoing top clamps!.Front wheel off and take out fork legs one at a time. Undo top nut fully and tip out old oil from leg, next undo allen bolt in bottom of leg (this lets you seperate both parts of leg)remove dust covers carefully - I used mine again but you could replace these if you want.Next step is to remove wire clip that is on top of seal,with a terminal screwdriver, then pull sharply on both ends of leg this dislodges and finally brings out seal and top of leg. That last step may take a few tries as seals are obviously good fit, thoroughly drain out all old oil then assemble leg tightening allen bolt up in bottom of leg.Cut corner off plastic jiffy bag and put over top stanchion, oil up seal and push onto leg over bag (bag stops seal damage).The final fitting required the use of a piece of long pipe to drive seal into final position, pipe ensures hitting seal on its outer diameter and not damaging working faces.Refit wire clip and dust seal and fill with 300ml of fork oil.Tighten top nut by hand, when both legs back in yolks tighten bottom clamps, then tighten top nuts fully, then lock up top clamps. How about that for a comprehensive answer to your question.  ;)

Instead of using a bag to prevent seal damage I put the new seals into place then put the old ones on top so when you drive them in you are hitting the old seal rather than the new one.Also if it is a really tight fit you can heat up the seal in boiling water to soften it slightly first which makes them easier to put in(just remember to dry them well as water and oil do not play well together!).