Tyre leak from edge of rim not spokes

Hi, 

My rear tyre leaks air from between the edge of the rim and the tyre itself (not spokes or valve have confirmed in a tub of water).

Ive reseated it twice and tried two tyres (very old Dunlop) and an IRC.

is there likely an issue with the rim or is there anything else I can try? It gets worse as the pressure goes down 

I’m this close to going tubed as I’ve got an old rear wheel that does leak through the spokes and this is stopping me riding. New rims are far too expensive vs the value of the bike. 

cheers

Edited by nitjay - hrc

• nitjay - hrc changed the title to Tyre leak from edge of rim not spokes

With more than one tire and re-seating it I would sure think the rim has an issue.  Last time I had that issue (08 Gas Gas) myself it was a combination of rim and tire, cleaned up the rim a bit better and change to a new tire and it stopped.  Still had some rim-band issues so had to clean it up even more before it was really good but no rim leak after it was all sorted. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

I just had a thought actually - the tyre has barely been used but it’s been sitting on another rim with no air in it for 15 odd years, the Dunlop was even older. Wondering if actually the tyre is misshapen? The rim looked in good condition. 

Hoping I can use this tyre as they’ve gone up in price a lot since I last bought one 😂

Okay, with that I am now guessing tire not rim/wheel. 

Maybe you could mark the tire and rim where the leak is currently and then rotate the tire leak point to a spot you know there is no leak on the wheel now and check again, if the leak follow the tire its not the rim/wheel, if not then its the wheel? 

Good luck. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 2

You're not going to believe this but Fish Glue

I use it in winter tires that are full of screws and sidewall splits, it's water soluble and non toxic for easy cleanup. Not expensive and available from stores that cater to woodworking.

• Like 1

Sometimes the tubeless rim tape on the inside of the wheel becomes scuffed and it causes it so slowly leak air. I’ve had similar issues over the years with mountain bikes as they are tubeless. Might be worth throughly inspecting the the tape. Also when you fit he wheel start the bike on a stand and let the back wheel spin a couple of times. 

I might be completely wrong, tires are funny things sometimes 🤣

Edited by Greasemonkey367

Thanks all for the input - got a few options to try. Also this is the other rim - I assume it needs new rim tape, I’ve heard they are a pain to get right. You can also see corrosion - If it’s too far gone I could use this as a tubed option?IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.91479745660396eb8dceb79f0f7baf24.jpeg

Fish Glue would still work far better, a tube needs some form of rim lock. 

... but lemur, why use fish glue and not something else? <- because you can reactivate it any time by adding water 🤓

Edited by lemur
  • Thanks 1