The Weight Of An Old Firestone Trials Tyre

feetupfun

I just took a very old front trials tyre off a recently acquired M49 Sherpa and thought it felt a bit heavy. It is a Firestone made in Spain with vee pattern blocks and is worn down to about 3mm block height.

The worn out old Firestone weighs 4765 grams while the slightly worn 2003 tube-type Michelin that went onto the bike weighs 3506 grams. For non-metric people that is a weight difference of more than 2.5 pounds. I hate to think what an unworn Firestone would weigh.

The sidewall of the Firestone has a little brag label saying "gum dipped" which I guess was a pretty cool thing at the time.

I can't bear to throw it away as it is a terrific reminder of how much tyres have improved since 1970.

I tried riding the bike with the old Firestone front tyre and by the feel of it I reckon the air might have been from another planet because that is what the steering felt like.

Unfortunately I suspect the air was not from such well regarded Trials riding areas as the rocky dry Spain or slippery Yorkshire because it was contained in a tube that was marked "made in Thailand" and so probably was inflated by the previous Aussie owner with nice clean Aussie air.

Yes Stuart, I can do photos of the M49. At the moment it is pretty ugly with black frame and paint being stripped from tank and sidecovers.

Is there some particular feature that you want to see?

Mine is also very early M49000100.

Let me know what you want to see and I'll send them to your PM box or email.

David

:thumbup: Hy from Switzerland

I'm glad, I found other Bultcao M49 owners. Mine is M49 00 060.

I restored it in 2002 and am riding since then Twinshock Trials.

http://www.twnclub.ch/m49_restauration.htm

http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_files/...villars2005.htm

For tips, mail me on patrick@twnclub.ch

- install an electric ignition if riding in wet condition, it improves power and torque a lot and is reliable

- or at least cut from a rubber plate a sealing for the ignition cover, as the paper did not seal mine

Regards

Patrick

post-986-1143885378.jpg

• 3 months later...

2.5 lbs lighter on the front tyre!

(I thought that was the back tyre in my post on the quest for weight reduction on Honda TL-250)

So I wonder how much weight is saved by going with a newer rear tyre over the Bridgestone?

Must be good fore 4 lbs or more, but that is jsut a guess.

So change the tyres, get more traction, and lose at least 6.5 lbs of weight on a vintage bike.

Gotta love that!