Gearing

panda

Hi

I have an 2006 rev3 250 and i feel that first gear is too slow and second is too fast for some sections.

Is there any way i could make first gear to be half way between standard first and second?? Different sprockets - what size?

Your help appreciated,

Thanks

Basher.

On a slightly more serious note :thumbup:

Do you feel you've lost anything from that?

I've been trying to use 1st gear more, as I'm reliably informed I'm meant to, but my old brain's not having it.

I'm always in second, just wondering if knocking the gearing up a bit would maybe help me out just a bit.

Edited by bikespace

I thought that a low first gear was to let you ride on the throttle and not have to clutch so much and hence ride smoother.I know that most of the good riders I ask use 1st for nearly every section, except for splipery climbs.

I have an 06 beta and like the low 1st, as you can get it on full lock and let chug round on the engine.

If you up the gearing wont 2nd be even higher?

As with most things in trials use what works for you.

:thumbup:

On a slightly more serious note ;)

Do you feel you've lost anything from that?

I've been trying to use 1st gear more, as I'm reliably informed I'm meant to, but my old brain's not having it.

I'm always in second, just wondering if knocking the gearing up a bit would maybe help me out just a bit.

Have they let you out again? :thumbup:

I tend to ride sections too slow so the higher gearing forces me to ride them at everyone else's speed. 1st gear is too slow and 2nd gear is too fast so this setup works perfectly for me, just try it and see what you think...

I think 1 tooth up front equates to about 4 teeth at the back so maybe try a rear sprocket that's 2 teeth smaller and see what you think of your 1st gear with that.