Betor Fork Oil. How Much And What Grade?

old trials fanatic

Well not actually Betor fork oil but oil in Betor forks :blink:

Swapped the bits around in the shed the other day between the Sherpa 340 and the BSA B40 trials special. I'd bought some forks off flea bay NOS and have put the stantions in the Sherpa and the Sherpa ones in the BSA B40 which has OSSA sliders as the ones originally in the B40 were marked. All bits swapped over no problem as they are both Betor and now i can put the old parts back on flea bay to recoup some of me money :wall:

So just thought i would ask: What fork oil do you guys use? Haynes recommends SAE10w but gives 150cc and 180cc in two different parts of the manual, typical Haynes :wall:

I'm 14 stone of rippling flab and like a soft feel to the forks. Should i use SAE 10 fork oil and is 150cc or 180cc best or do you have any better recommendations?

Just fitted new seals and the springs measure 475mm.

Thanks in anticipation :D

Mate those forks must be pretty confused with all that swapping around.

The forks with the Bultaco sliders should work well with 190ml per leg and so should the ones with the OSSA Betor sliders. If you are ever in doubt, just use the measurement method with the forks bottomed with springs removed. Add oil slowly until it is about 5" from the top of the tubes. As a check, extend the forks with the springs out and caps off and if they snore near the bottom, you need more oil.

Fork setup is such a personal thing that I am reluctant to suggest oil weight and spring preload for you but seeing I am also 14 stone of rippling flab you may find my numbers are a suitable starting spot.

75mm of preload with straight wound trials rate springs and 7.5WT oil works pretty well for me in my M49 Sherpa T and MAR OSSA. 10WT is a bit heavy unless you like a slow fork action.

Thanks for that.

They dont know what the forks going on with all that swapping around. Just combining all the best bits thats all.

Will try a lighter grade and up the qty as you suggest.

Daft question but do i get some 5W oil and mix in equal parts with 10W, which i already have, to get 7.5W :wall: