01' 270 Fork /spring Advice

348mate

Is there a recomended way to check whether front springs are worn out/soft?

Can someone run me through the procedure for bolting forks axle etc together to eliminate "snatching" of the forks on rebound.

many thanks, S.M.

Edited by 348mate

"snatching" i mean slight stickiness and forks not fully extending upwrds properly, without lifting bars slightly,.

There is a bit of sag even with the bike riderless!! possibly the springs are shot.

S.M

I bit the bullet and bought a new spring, it was a longer length than what was in the bike. and had one short plastic spacer.

the old spring was shorter and had two plastic spacers, dont know if that set up was correct,

Anyway with new spring/spacer fitted the bike now stands with forks fully extended at rest and seems much better..

thanks to all S.M.

Shouldn't there be a small amount of sag in the forks (well, at both ends actually) when the bike is held upright and riderless? I'd always thought that this is called "static sag" and is used as the baseline measurement for suspension tuning ("race sag" is measured with the rider on the bike and both are taken from the middle of the axle to an arbitrary point on the front/rear mudguard with the difference between the two measurements determining the required preload adjustment.)