Won't Start

neonsurge

Following on from this thread I recently cleaned my header and mid pipes out using caustic soda and after emptying and allowing eveything to drain and dry out, yesterday I put it all back together (I repacked the silencer for good measure). The bike started fine, ran for a few seconds before the revs suddenly rose then it died. It then won't restart unless I leave it for a while when it starts first kick before doing the same thing. Kick, brrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, stop.

Any ideas?

Edited by neonsurge

Fuel pipe trapped? Dunno how close it runs to the silencer on the Beta?

Just sounds a bit like fuel starvation.

You wouldn't think it'd be related to the pipe cleanout eh?

That could have gone on my "Stupid things I've done list" but I once took the tank offto get at the thermostat, and left the fuel pipe connected. When I shoved the tank back on I managed to give it a 360 spin and get an extra twist in the pipe :D

Edited by bikespace

I don't know about the pipe cleaning but, after you did it did you blow air with a air hose both forward and backwards threw the pipe to make sure it is not clogged up with some of the stuff that broke loose? I only say it because on my sons GG 50 he dented the pipe which is double walled and about a 2 months later it did about the same thing as your bike :D After many hours of checking things I had the pipe off and decided to blow some air threw it and a big chunk of packing came flying out when I blew threw it backwards which I think broke loose in the dented area :D

Just a thought since it sounds like the same symptoms

Good luck. :wall:

Sounds most like restricted fuel flow, hence rise in revs as it leans off before stopping.

Two main options, no air flow into the tank or restriction if fuel flow from tank.

Former, take off the tank filler cap and see if that cures the probelem.

If it doesn't then must be fuel restriction.

All the usual checks, fuel tap restriction,fuel pipe damage or blocked,needle valve into carb and finally check breather into carb float bowl.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I disconnect the fuel line from the carb and turn the fuel on... nothing happens. No fuel comes out. Bugger.

Now all I need to work out is where all the gearbox oil is disappearing to...

bent float tags... or floats in upside down!! :D

No excess smoke then?.... seems to be after 3 years the side casing can corrode and allow the water to mix with the gearbox oil... but as it will be under pressure i would assume it would be a case of too much fluid in the gearbox rather than not enough.

OK, got 'er running again (blocked fuel filter.) It's still quite smoky though :D

The disappearing gearbox oil is a worry and I'm starting to suspect that the two issues are related and that the crank seals may have failed. My limited mechanical knowlege (and several minutes peering at the exploded parts diagram) suggests that this would allow gearbox oil into the cylinder and cause the blue smoke although I'll rely on my betters (not necessarily elders!) to confirm or debunk that theory...

BTW, I recently replaced the water pump shaft and seal and the casing looked OK - a bit of limescale buildup but no obvious corrosion.

Edited by neonsurge