Any Trick Tlr 200s Out There?

andy m

:wall: Hi, I am probably going over old ground here but I have recently purchased a Scorpa 125 to sort my riding out, I find it steers and handles well. I have a TLR200 that does not, there is nowt wrong with it, just geometry is worlds apart. I would like to get the TLR to handle like the Scorpa. Anybody on here done any thing similar at a sensible price. Footpeg position and steering etc. I realise the weight will also be an issue. Thanks.

(Foot rests I made and bodged up myself. Find some old Montesa types and start to cut/wewld them up and modify so they move back by about 3/4 inch. The frame fixing is that silly angled peg but you are however compeled to use, but with a bit of savvy, you can do it and make some proper pegs.)

Be a bit carefull putting the pegs any further back, uphill the front wants to come up as it is. Put them lower but in the same postion. Barry roads moved his forward and lower! (on a 250) I have just put mine lower and in the same position which feels fine. Cheepest way is to use sammy Miller footrest kit. Leave the original pegs on the frame and tack the new U braket underneath it allowing you to get the angle of the footrest right. I then made gussets of mild steel behind the U braket to support it and welded as i went along. Will post a picture asap.

Edited by superhondaman

Lift the front forks out of the clamps 10-15 mm and change the fork oil while you there, I use 15w grade.

I have the forks flush with the yokes on one of my bikes, I felt the loss in ground clearance with raising the forks in the yokes by 10-15mm was too much. One bike has RTL250 forks, these are shorter than TLR forks and to be honest I prefer the TLR forks.

I am currently using 5wt oil on both my 250's - nice soft action.

Gordon

:) I read on another site that moving the bottom shock mounts on swingarm forward about 2" slightly improves ground clearance but more important it improves steering. Probably same effect as moving steering head angle back I suppose. That was a year old + post in the states, so were all trying to improve the things. Thanks

I would say there is not a great deal in it to be fair. The Scorpa engine is a Yamaha TTR125 and things have moved on in 20 yrs. There are a couple of mods to do to a Scorpa to improve the power, but as I am a novice I think it feels about right for now. I would advise you to have a ride on one if you get a chance, I was amazed at the difference straight away when I tried one and decided that was the way to go, as our club HEREFORDSHIRE CLASSIC TRIALS CLUB has an aircooled mono class. Thanks :)

:D I went to GOOGLE typed in TLR200 frame and found Thumpertalk.com that is where the discussion took place re the shock mounts last year,still on ther now though, other mods mentioned also. Nothing about them expensive shocks I dont think :)

Very interesting this bit about the moving shocks forward 2" on swing arm. Mines been done without me knowing about the improved steering benefit, I was under the impression that it gave a bit more ground clearance. Mine has always been perfect on the steering without me realising it, I could never understand people complaining about the steering of the TLR's.

With TLR250 shocks being 20mm longer than 200 shocks i wonder how much of a difference fitting 250 shocks would make compared to moving mounts?

If I could remember trignometry properly I could work out the effect.

As far as power goes I have tried a Scorpa 143 (refuse to call a 143cc bike a 175!) and found it felt less powerfull than 250 - perhaps this was because you had to rev it more, it may well have been 'in my mind'.

I have tried a 200 and it is similar to the Scorpa in that it feels like you have to rev it to get anywhere but seemed to have more than enough power for me.

It is an expensive way to gain 18/19cc on the Scorpa. There is a mod to lighten the flywheel which I have heard helps gain more bottem end. :) I agree with you a 143 is not a 175, you could probably call it a 150, sounds like you are getting more for your money calling it a 175 I suppose.

Edited by bo drinker