Sherco Muffler Repair

copemech

The question came up at the WTC event about dented muffler repair, specifically on an older bike that did not have the plastic guard.

Although there have been several methods tried including covering them up with the carbon fibre guards which I am not sure are available anymore, the best thing I have found so far is trimming a section of ATP (aluminum tread plate), form to fit, and tack welding it on to the muff.

Looks good and provides additional reinforcement and is replaceable if need be.

And the plastic guard makes a good outline for one!

BTW Alan, Brian kneeds one! <_<

Just push it out from the inside, and weld in the rivnuts,,,, well, I guess at that point they are weld nuts,,,, and viola,,, That is WALLA to my redneck freinds, you have an upgraded, repacked, ready to go muffler........

You should see / hear the Beemer tank I got to do for Brian...

Just push it out from the inside, ...

....a word of Caution for anyone thinking of using air pressure to pop out the dents in an aluminum unitized muffler. Think twice (especially if not wearing safety glasses and earplugs - more on that later).

A local rider tried sealing his muffler at both ends before adding a few psi, and just a little localised heat.

After the bang, or perhaps it was during, the air pressure was vented through the new cracked weld. He ended up with sore ears, oil in his eyes, and a bloated aluminum balloon animal, which strangely was reluctant to pop back into shape.

...after which he had little reason not to cut it apart and fetch out the panel beating tools.

At least he found out how much oil had collected on the inside, although it had also tried to escape through the new hole along with the rush of air!

Yeah - be careful with the pressure method.

A little too much and it can be a bugger to fit afterwards.

Look at these three clowns. A few beers, and lets have a go at that silencer.

Doh!

Note the safety gear though - good lads.

post-218-1148759177.jpg