Face Guard For Trials Helmet

jimsshed

Does anyone know of a face guard that can be attached to an open face helmet?

Not one of those plastic bmx/motocross things from yesteryear, but maybe a wire cage style guard like cricket or baseball players wear.

I'd really like to protect my son's face and teeth a bit more, whilst still giving him most of the ventilation and vision that open face helmets provide.

Thanks, Jim

We don't want an MX style guard for reasons given above.

We're also talking about a typical 8 year old child that does not always have the reflexes or experience to control a fall.

Our riding days are typically hot and humid, and of course we are riding trials, so open vision is essential. MX helmets are very hot at slow speeds and hinder peripheral vision.

This is obviously a product opportunity for helmet or accessory manufacturers, because EVERY parent I've talked to about this situation are worried about their children's teeth getting damaged or knocked out.

Jim

I'll send a photo of my lads old helmet when I get chance. It is a trials helmet with two screw fittings at each side to fit the face guard. This does make it look like a Moto-x helmet, but it's just a thin single layer of plastic. It never obstructed his vision or made it any hotter.

It also allows you to just remove it when he gets to the safer stage.

my kids were in BMX bicycle racing. They kept using their polyethylene bike helmets with face guard. Very light, well ventilated. Not as cool as open, but has the face guard. check out the local BMX bicycle shops maybe.

I also bought a screw on face guard thing separately from a BMX shop, tried to fit to my adult trials helmet. Worked, but as I got better I abandoned it. But I vel seen ugly and expensive face surgery on higher clas rider, just practicing, fall in a mild rocky gulch...