Clutch Noise

dasher

Hi all, I'm new here so forgive me if I have posted to wrong place.

I have Beta Rev3 2005 270cc

I have noticed my engine is noisey (cluncky) when I pull the clutch lever in and is not working fully when I have the bike on a stand and in gear.

To my unprofessional ear it sound like the clutch is not working properly when engaged and it is nearly jumping into gear (I may be totally wrong).

This noise is present (but less loud when in nuetral).

The bike rides OK (for a novice anyway) BUT if there is something wrong I would rather sort it now while I have time (and incase I can prevent costly damage).

Also - Could anyone please email me maintenance manual pages for adjustment and/or replacement of the clutch plates. OR advise where I can buy one.

Cheers

Daz

Dasher

My boy rides his beta pretty hard and has broken clutchplates before which gave symptoms of increased noise but the difference in operation was hardly noticable.

I would take the large round inspection cover off on the left hand side of the engine and unbolt the clutch and have alook.Lay the bike over on its right side and you wont even have to drain the oil.

Good luck

Hi again,

Just had clutch plates etc. out and all looks fine (even unworn).

BetaRick - IF you put you bike on stands and put in gear (2nd) and pull clutch in - does the wheel stop? My keep moving. When I brake to stop wheel and release brake (all with clutch in) it starts again.

Can anyone please advise on how to adjust to clutch to make it work better?

getting a bit panicky now as weekend draws nearer <_<

cheers all

Dasher

It sounds to me that you might just have the normal Beta clutch chatter.If the drag is only noticable when the bike is on the stand but not when riding or sitting on it I would be tempted to leave it alone.

Thinking about it one new Beta we had did have abit of drag but changing the gearbox oil to 75w cured it.

Thanks Mark.

FYI I have PJ1 75w Gearbox oil in. Same as previous owner used and advised by Beta Dealer.

I just had 10 mins play with bike and it seems a bit better.

Would like to know how to adjust it though if anyone can describe in details for me.

Thanks all - hope I can reciprocate in future.

Daz

I have been led too beleive ATF ( automatic trans fluid) is the best thing for these beasts and is what I use along with most of the Beta owners in the R2wtrials clan I beleive! and have great results, plus it`s cheap!

As for your slight drag as Markymark has said I would take this as normal on the stand I`ve not come across many bikes that you can put on a stand in gear with the engine running and stop the wheel with just the clutch, as long as you can stop with the brake and the engine isn`t stalling or trying too stall too much then all should be well

As for your adjustment I think you`ll find your main adjustment up on the lever that little adjuster screw with lock nut, wind him in or out mainly for your bite point adjustment more than anything though

Not that I want to be kicked out of the r2w clan or anything, but for anyone from hotter climates (just about everywhere!!!)..atf, (in my experience) MIGHT not work as well as it does seem to for people here).

I tried it a few times when I was living/riding in Hong Kong, and it didnt seem to work very well.

BUT...dasher you're in Manchester...so I guess its not too hot up there <_<:)

plus...I might just be talking out my.......... :D again!