Fiberglass Fuel Tank Repair

duckwizard

I guess I am a little lost as to why the petrol will penetrate.

Here, there is a product available called Kreem (it can be seen on the web) not sure if it is available there or not. I believe it is also rated for Fiberglass tanks but I would have to verify that. My experience has been that at some point, it starts to cause more problems than it fixes.

A well done, multiple layer, properly faired in fiberglass patch, will restore a standard fiberglass tank to a like new condition, and if properly painted or gel coated, will be un noticable.

You could always take one of the two part epoxy putty sticks and gob it over the hole, and that would work, but not as well and would certainly be more noticable.

Depending on the split you may be able to grind out a small amount of the glass then repack it with milled fibre and resin. This would be neater than glassing over a larger area. Make sure you sand back any area you are going to putting new resin onto as the paint will not hold the new materials. Gelcoat will need to be sanded to allow the new resin to get a chemical bond.

On the inside of the tank ensure it is very clean and put some resin over the split area. Remember as resin goes off it generates heat so ensure the tank is as clean as you can get it so you don't have a fire. If there are raw fibres exposed to fluids the fluid will pass along the fibres.

Don't buy your products from a hardware store but go to a boat shop or better still a fibreglass trade centre and buy the correct resin etc.

If you are going to the trouble of relining your fibreglass fuel tank, I suggest that you use low viscosity epoxy resin as the liner and buy it from an aircraft or boat repair supplier as previously suggested. The reason for this is that the automobile fuel or "gas" we buy will eventually contain ethanol if not already and polyester resin (which is what fibreglass fuel tanks are normally made of) is affected by ethanol.

I'm not actually advising relining with anything unless it is absolutely necessary because it adds weight and can be a bit tricky to get evenly spread inside.

Almost any fibreglass tank damage can be fixed by external repair if you take the advice already given on this string.

David Lahey

Australia