Travers Trial

ham2

As usual for this time of year I am getting a lot of peer pressure about signing up for the Travers trial this autumn.

I am not up to the same riding standard as my mates so I've always given it a miss.

They tell me it is only reasonably difficult but they also tell porkies. :)

Has anyone got any experience or info please?

When is it,where is it,how should you prepare for it?How do you apply for your no.? Any monster waterfalls? <_<

That sort of thing.

All replies welcome.

Its a big loop 20 sections in the morning and 20 in the afternoon your bike fitness will probably be more important than your riding ability. Think there is a couple of big waterfalls but most of the local clubmen attempt all the sections. You'll be fine <_<

Cota Kid all of the trials you mentioned have a clubman route, the travers is just one course, dont let this put you off as its normally a lot more like a clubman route than an expert route with most sections tricky rather than hard and very little big stuff.

I can recall a few years ago(as a spectator) that there was a huge, staggered, waterfall (100ft high?)which led up to a stone bridge supporting the road.

Was this just a nightmare I once had or is this part of the course unused now?

Oh and is there any roadwork involved?

Thanks

That is Westonmea waterfall, it used to be in every year but it wasn't last year as I think they lost the land. Shame they lost it as it was a cracking section and very popular with spectators. It wasn't quite 100ft though! :crying:

There are one or two big sections, (Thompson's falls waterfall, one or two in Harthope quarry) but the vast majority are rideable for clubmen. I know a lot of easy course riders that do it every year.

It is advisable to get your entry in as soon as the regs are available, as early entry means late start, which is very important as most sections are only used once a year for this event.