301 Engine Mountings

williamd

hi everyone.

Just spent the last 6 months rebuilding a Fantic Trial 301 and got it finished a couple of weeks ago and was out on it for the 3rd time when the frame snapped above the front engine mounting bolt. (see picture).

;)

Im going to get this welded but the question is why did it happen. The only fixing i have from the engine to the frame is this front bolt. The back of the engine just sits on top of the frame at the swing arm bolt.

There is a fixing that comes down from the top bar of the frame that has a hole in it. Also on the cylinder head, 3 of the bolts are long and have threads tapped into the top of them. Is there meant to be a clamp in between the head and the frame?

Any help would be much appreciated. :beer:

post-2539-1151502458.jpg

Edited by Williamd

There should be a bracket that bolts to the 3 longer head nuts and to the frame. There should also be clamps at the back of the engine similar to handlebar clamps, if these are not there then I would think that is bound to be the cause of the frame snapping.

Thanks mate.

The bike didnt have any when i bought it.

I thought it was a bit strange but you know what its like. Just wanted to get out on the bike after all the work.... Nightmare.

I'll phone Bill Pye and see if he can supply them.