Outside Design Parameters......

uhoh7

We have a alot of technical high alpine single track around here, and I was getting sick of overheating my 250F MX machines and wrestling the rougher trails.....

P1000883.jpg

P1000889.jpg

cost a fortune and many emails but I finally managed to obtain a 4.5 litre tank

This is the first really significant loop I've attempted. Total climbing is about 7000 vertical feet. About 4 hours solid riding.

IMG_1119.jpg

first pitch

IMG_1128.jpg

the other side

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

halfway point

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

at this rate my KTM will last forever, hehe. :D

Edited by uhoh7

So jealous of where you can ride about trail wise thats some awesome land around there :D

Previous posts by Steve Fracy, Outlaw Dave and others have confirmed this - awesome land, freedom and views. I reckon they only post these pics to make us jealous :beer:

test.jpg

Here's my sxf in the wild

The comparison is pretty shocking---and I have alot of hours in the BC on 250fs.

Even though I'm standing 99% of the ride, I am far less worked on the GG. On normal mountain single track a 250F will get away if the rider goes hard. But once he settles down you can keep up easy. On rocky single track the GG is faster, even with it's achilles heel: the masive jump and clunk to 5th. I'm using stock gearing and cannot decide if I should go up to try and bring the lower gears in play, or down to get into 5th a bit sooner.

The sxf feels like a real hog after the gg. In comparison it is really top heavy, so balancing movements require more strength.

Then there is the motor. The GG is so smooth and has power at the lowest rpm, so it is very predictable. Obviously there is always a lower gear for the nastiest bits. The sxf does not like super low rpm, mine surges a bit but I'm working on it.

AT first the GG suspension scared me at speed and in the whoops. But if you absorb with it you can really fly.

Overall handling: the GG steers extremely precise, so if you are paying attention you can miss almost any surprise that shows up in your path. It's rebound cornering in s turns is remarkable. I thought it would be scary--but I have no problem taking a hand off for my camelback nipple.

Deflection and traction: also no comparison. The right-side up marzochi is very stable in loose rocks or when hitting a lone rock on the trail. Traction compared to the sxf is laughable. Motocross tires are very stupid in this kind of riding--and that's all I've used till now.

Over and above all this is the impact comparison. You can hear the sxf a long way out, and you can see where it goes. The GG is very quiet and leaves no mark. If you notice the snowbank above: I climbed just to the left of it but you cant tell.

The GG is close to a true wilderness motorcycle. With some altered gear sets and a light rear subframe to support gear, a small low seat, and towing (just in case), it would be near perfect.

Totally jealous - great pics, great land.

Hasn't the Gasser got 6 gears? The Sherco has 5 and that's limiting sometimes, especially with a lardy like me on it :D

The GG is close to a true wilderness motorcycle. With some altered gear sets and a light rear subframe to support gear, a small low seat, and towing (just in case), it would be near perfect.

Now that's what makes me think that trials would grow and grow if they just make some mainstream bikes like the one you're talking about, so that people can actually use them for trail riding too. Not everybody needs the ridiculous low seat of modern machines, especially the over 6 foot club.

Sell it as the greener/quieter way to take a bike off road and make trials the friend of the rambler - OK I'm taking the **** with the last bit, but you get my drift :beer:

Edited by bikespace

Hasn't the Gasser got 6 gears? The Sherco has 5 and that's limiting sometimes, especially with a lardy like me on it :D

it does have 6 of course but the weakness for this application is the jump 4th-5th.