Sherco Oil

dale

Just browsing the gasgas website[as you do] and read that they recomend you DO NOT use synthetic oil in engine.What in your opinion is the best engine/transmission oil to use in 05 2.9.Heard some people use ATF III with good results.Any thougths most welcome :thumbup:

Clutches in a Gasser reportedly swell up and do funny things so they recommend the Dextron III i believe for that reason.

In the Sherco I have never heard of this problem, although a 75 wt MTF is what is recommended.

This viscosity is similar to a 30wt motor oil, but without some of the additives that are not designed for clutches.

These viscosity ratings use a different standard which is somewhat confusing, but most racing oil manufactures make an acceptable product. Maxima is sold here by the importer.

Sherco's at one time came with a sticker that said "Sherco recomenda Valvoline". I used Valvoline synthetic 10w30 for years with no problems at about 4-5 dollars per quart at the local auto parts store(2 oil changes @450cc each).

:thumbup:

First of all, stop browsing the GG web site... they're so jealous of Sherco that they copied the frame color for their '07 models B)

The Sherco engine oiling system is a different philosophy than the GasGas system. If my information is correct, GasGas has little oiling ports such that the main bearings get lubed by the crankcase oil where Sherco depends (as do lots of two-stroke manufacturers) on the pre-mix oil to lube the main bearings.

With that in mind, I would stick to the manufacturers recommendation for all lubes unless you want to become your own warranty station. :thumbup:

Rathmells and Ryan Young both recommend what Sherco themselves recommend - straight 75W gear oil.

I have noticed that several oil companies make 75W/90 oil, but I have no experience whether a multigrade like this would be a problem or not.

Careful, the 75/90 is hypoid gear oil and very thick! Not the one to use!

Once again, this is a different standard than that used for motorcycle manual trans fluid(or MTF).

To confuse matters further, I just looked at a quart of Maxima fork fluid. It says 85-150(5wt.sus-vi) on the label.

If you have questions in your local, ask your dealer!

If you are totally lost, use any good grade 10/30 automotive engine oil, it will work, the main permise being to change it regularly and keep it clean with no water entry!

The current bikes say "Sherco recommenda IPONE"! I think it is pretty and blue!

:thumbup: