Spark Plug Popping

the addict

Using NGK BPR 5ES in the rev 3 270, have done 3 plugs in the past three weeks now, is it the heat? or something else. Bike is running superb now and plug chops show nice colours and does nt seem to be running lean or rich. Did hear the Resistor type plugs have a tendancy to go bang often so i am trying the non resistor type for the next few weeks. Anyone else been popping plugs lately?

Yer, nice one barry! I have noticed the frame number has 666 in it? Still think its the heat or the resistor or there again could be the bike itself, running well now though but will be throwing plugs in every week by the look of it. Only three hours today? at least 8 for us tomorrow in Wales, cant wait. The Goat is going so I have the camera to hand incase he can beat your off at Gwent,dont have Heaths Photo skills though so hope I can catch it. If he comes off it will be on something really big and something he should nt have been trying!!! as usual

Cheers

Edited by Betarev3

Been looking at all your pics on your site mate, top quality, must have taken you forever uploading them all. Bet the practice day was good as well, must have had a good pass to get near them all. Will post some of my efforts tomorrow or Monday from Wales, should be a good day and even better laugh

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bike runs great as i said, but the plug popping is a little concerning. Could be too weak but everything is standard settings now on the carb, may try a larger main if it keeps doing it. Not unheard of plugs going, but one a week is abit excessive, still think the carb is f----ed and causing it

You lads dont change plugs out of a matter of course then? never keep one for more than a couple of months just incase.

Betarev3 - While most of the Trials bikes use the NGK BPR 5ES - The Beta comes stock with the cooler Champion N7YCC - This crosses over to a NGK BPR 7ES - I know many of you guys in the UK run the hotter plug but the factory really does know best - using the wrong plug can cause problems with the new electronic ignitions.

Done another plug tonight??????????????????????????????? mate of mine had the same problem earlier this year, new Mikuni solved it, think i will stick a new carb on next week and try it out. Great time at the quarry today, few offs from most of us and a spectacular loop out from Ralph at the end doing a third gear wheelie, that stubby thing that sticks out on the right hand side is the rear brake mate, it helps having your foot over it before you nail the throttle. Mike Johnson showed us all how it should be done, and no doubt will do again on Sunday in Wales,

Tinde, never had plug problems since this bike, had loads of Betas always used 5es plugs - Lampkins told me to use them and they should know

Ok, so why not try 6es or 7es for this one? I'm sure Lampkins know their stuff but I'm sure so does the factory. :thumbup: