1995 Fantic 247 Questions

tonyp884

Could anyone give me some information about a 95 Fantic 247 /

Strengths / weaknesses ?

If you were looking at buying a 247, what sort of things should you look for / check out ?

What would be a fair price for a really clean 247 ?

thanks,

Tony P

• 2 weeks later...
Bit of an odd ball now.. it ?? was big and the rear fender was made from carrot!! it used to snap real easy!.. unless it was cheap i wouldn't bother as parts will be harder to get as time goes by.. even Ahvala couldn't ride it well!!

r2w were you referring to the fluoro orange 1990-247, or the orange/black 1995-Section 249R?

I guess the 'carrot' clue was towards the orange fender of the 95 and the 'composite' subframe?

Ahvala didn't join Fantic until 94, but then he won first time out in Luxembourg on the brand new 1995 Section, although he did ride a prototype at the 94 TDN - looked smart in black and red.

Didn't Fantic sell an air-cooled "clubman" model trials bike alongside the liquid-cooled bikes? I thought I saw one on a Fantic site a while back, but don't know much about it. Might this be what Tony was looking at?

Didn't Fantic sell an air-cooled "clubman" model trials bike alongside the liquid-cooled bikes? I thought I saw one on a Fantic site a while back, but don't know much about it.  Might this be what Tony was looking at?

After the 247 & 307 of 1990, there was a blue & yellow air cooled 249 (& 309), followed by the Clubman and dual seat Coach Weekend models which were called 125 or 250, so not sure what happened to the 212cc size 247, 249 engine config.

The 96 air cooled Clubman featured a dark blue rear fender with a red tank adorned with checker stripe, red front fender, yellow disk guard and ex-K-Roo alum swingarm, so lots of colour variations as parts from the liquid cooled models were used up on the air cooled range.

So Tony what colour did your prospective new mount start out - do you have a photo. Not a lot changed other than cosmetics so depending on your location parts for an air cooled engine should be available. Check the condition of the rubber airbox to carb boot and carb to engine reed valve manifold as expensive to replace.

Sometimes the swingarm axles froze in the center engine clamped bush which is not fun to remove, but a lot depends on the model you are looking at, hence all the colour questions.

As always the linkage needel rollers need to be checked for play, as do the chain & sprockets. Shock action-damping. etc etc as with any used bike.

Offer him a song and your SWM in part exchange! :)