What Is Causing This?

uhoh7

This is after about 3 hrs riding in dusty conditions

ggblowby.jpg

forgive my ignorance: the source is very small, and appears to be a gasket at the cylinder base.

Should I just ignore it, or prepare to go after the gasket? The bike runs fine.

TY sirs

Lewis GG your correct replacing the base gasket could fix the leak, but you need to learn how a 2 stroke engine works. Niether the cylinder or flywheel side have gearbox oil in them. The leak is most likely a fuel leak, so yes it is oil. 2 stroke mix.

... the petrol either evaporates or is burnt off inside the barrel, what you are seing there is a blown base gasket that is allowing some 2 stroke mix come through. The dirt is keeping hold of the oil once the fuel evaporates.

... get it sorted as quick as possible mate... it will affect your running and starting eventually and may also cause errosion on the 2 surfaces of the barrel and engine case if left long enough. It is an easy job to do... hour at the most.

Thanks thats what i needed to know,

:thumbup:

check to see that your barrel nuts are fully tightened i checked mine as my bike was doing the same and found that 3 of the four nuts were not fully tightened or were lose and after i tightened these up it was fine and have had no leaking or problems with the bike since

check to see that your barrel nuts are fully tightened i checked mine as my bike was doing the same and found that 3 of the four nuts were not fully tightened or were lose and after i tightened these up it was fine and have had no leaking or problems with the bike since

Great advice....gonna check first---that would be sweet!!!!!

uhoh, yes mate its the base gasket! Start to prepare for a new one fitting, you could be clever and leave the cylinder head attached to the barrel saving you the head O rings to change but you will need the engine out for that method. In that area of the transfer ports, the gasket is quite thin and so prone to leaking. We use a smear of clear silicone sealant both sides to make sure it does not leak when rebuilding ours.

When it start to whistle a tune, then its time to do it!! FF

Thank you for the tips, especially the sealant. On the video the gasket appears dry and I was wondering about this.

What is the easiest way to get the cylinder back over the piston and ring? Can you just hold the ring closed with your fingers, or do you need a ring compressor or something?

the method i used on my gasgas engine jobs, not all caused by problems i hasten to add, was to remove the head then slide the barrel up enough to be able to remove a gudgeon pin circlip and then remove the pin... the barrel and piston assembly then comes out complete...

If you do want to take the piston out to check the bore then it is easy to get it back in.. slide it down until the top ring touches the barrel then push the ring into the grove with your finger tips whilst putting a small amount of pressure on the piston... it will slide to the 2nd ring, and repeat.

... before you release the head bolts don't forget to drain the water!!! :beer:

and the pin comes right out? no pounding? that would be easier for sure. more good advice= looks like i do have to pull off tha rad so I should remember the water, hehe

TY mucho!! :thumbup: