Gps Systems

perce

Is there a bit of kit available that you could put in your pocket & it could be set to record your location at say 20 yard intervals? Information required is distance travelled & the ability to provide location references.

Is there a bit of kit available that you could put in your pocket & it could be set to record your location at say 20 yard intervals? Information required is distance travelled & the ability to provide location references.

Yes, I made one out of a GPS mouse, a fancy data recorder and a 12v power supply although I'm sure it would run off some other kind of battery pack.

The fancy/clever bit is the data recorder - I had to order it from Australia. There are dip switches inside that you set for recording intervals. The GPS mouse provides the location and the recorder logs the position every X seconds or so.

I had it fitted in a car once, plugged the laptop in once a week and downloaded the data points. These are then used on a mapping program to show a 'snail trail' of the route taken, speed, distance travelled etc.

I still have it if you want to borrow it and experiment with a different power supply? It needs a new gps mouse but they are only

Edited by Kinell

yeah, I can goggle too :thumbup: I was wanting info from someone who actually new what they were on about.

More fool me for trying to help, won't make that mistake again.

we used to use Magellan's on the Polaris

Edited by Andy_290

I have ridden loops with the guy's from our local forestry service, mapping trials trails and where they actually go, it is important to get as many mapped as possible, soon we will only be allowed on designated trails so the more we map now the better for us in the future.

They use an hand held system that records the whole trail, and location of the sections, they then take it back and download it for mapping.

The forestry guy's ride Mont's and what was funny we got sailing along a fun trail a bit too fast and the GPS flew off his tank and broke the glass, I fixed them up with a thick rubber band made from a tube and job was sorted from then on.

I don't think they recorded time taken to travel the course though, but wouldn't a stop watch do that.

Kinell's problem with the GPS is it speaks to him in the voice of a woman, it is a well documented fact men don't listen to women when driving.

You can do this with a simple hand held GPS system, this will record position, speed, time and elevation (although elevation aint as accurate). Average speed, maximum speed, time, distance etc are all displayed.

I have a Garmin Etrek, its waterproof.and you can get a mount to fit on a bike handlebar. It doesnot display a map without playing around with extra software but you can follow your track in reverse wuite easily.

I have used it on various bikes and played around at plotting the data on various mapping programs, its great for checking speedos as well. They are really meant for hill walkers where you can enter waypoints on a route and check you are going in correct direction.

There are numerous freeware or shareware software programmes you can use to interogate and convert data formats.

Gordon