More Techno Niggles - Need Some Suggestions Before I Burn The Bleeding Thing! Lol

lucky7s

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my bike ('97 Techno) is shaping up to be a 'problem child' - No sooner do i get the leaking header tank replaced, the busted levers sorted out (Bought new AJP levers to suit my AJP branded brake and clutch cylinders, only they're offset adjuster levers and had to be modded to fit), the new carb on, my Aprilia fan mod squared away and a new fuel tap fitted....one with a lever that actually works, then this happens....

Bikes been stood up for around a week and a half while i waited on parts and sorted out the issues above.

The old fuel tap had no handle so it was stuck in the on position. Was firing first kick last time i used it but went to fire it up today and nada!

Checked for spark and its good (it zapped me when i accidentally touched the plug whilst working the kickstart so its definitely sparking) and i've cleaned and gapped it to .6mm as reccomended by Beta so i think i can rule the plug out. Its got a healthy fat spark so i dont think its an electrical issue.

Few kicks and took the plug out again to check for fuel and its wet so the fuels getting to the cylinder ok i think.

My GG owning mate next door reckoned it was flooded, so we bumped it with the throttle wide open to try and clear it, but it didnt catch at all....didnt even sound like it was trying. I've left the plug out and turned off the fuel to let the barrel clear overnight then i'll try it again in the morning.

Does anyone have any tips i can try tomorrow? I'm not very clued up on 2 strokers but i've tried all the stuff i could find using the search facility here. Gonna have the carb off again tomorrow to check for dirt etc but beyond that i'm stumped.

In 3 weeks this bike has cost me almost

it does sound like it is flooded.

my sugestion is to turn the fuel off and either keep trying to start it

or

take the carb off and drain all the fuel out of it.

we have never had this problem on my dads 98 techno but i think your nearly there! :thumbup:

Cool, thanks :)

I'll try draining the carb tomorrow- getting pretty handy at stripping stuff down now.....its all i seem to be doing lately. May as well tackle the carb mods to stop the overflow while its off. Might actually get to ride it at some point! Beggining to think i should've gone for a TXT gasser - my mates starts first kick without fail and he likes to point this out lol!

Edited by lucky7s

You've almost certainly flooded it. Taking the carb of won't do any harm but it probably wont 'un-flood' the engine.

If you leave the plug out and kick it over, (With an absorbent cloth over the plug hole to catch the spray) you will get the excess fuel/oil to reduce, however this is a dodgy way of doing it as the spray could be ignited and set fire to your bike.

Alternatively, you can take the spark plug out, drain the fuel tank and turn the bike over. You'll be amazed how much oily fuel comes out. But I say again, be very careful the HT lead or Spark plug doesn't ignite the fuel spray.

Do all this with the fuel turned off (or disconnected) and when you try to start the bike keep the throttle full open. Check the plug to see if it's dry, if not you will need to repeat the above process until it is dry. Then try starting the bike with the fuel on.

This has happened to me a number of times when I've forgotten to turn the fuel off and put the bike on my trailer. The bouncing up and down on the road floods the engine.

I hope this helps, but be wary of fire.

If its mega flooded take the plug out pull the plug cap out of the way, put it in top gear, petrol off and run down the street with it with the throttle wide open.

That will get all of the petrol out of the crankcase aswell. :thumbup:

Make sure the plug cap is well out of the way, you don't want the juice that comes out off the plug hole lighting up!!!!

Pushing a bike with the engine in gear and the plug out to purge a flooded cylinder is a recipe for disaster. That maneuver is the reason I always carry a BIG fire extinguisher in my truck. If my nephew didn't know where the fire extinguisher was I could have easily burned down my sister's house. There's no feeling quite like watching your bike lying on it's side burping fuel into a growing fire on a dirt driveway full of pine needles.

BE VERY CAREFUL!

Try a fresh plug. Sometimes a carbon foul or gas on the insulator will prevent a bike from starting..

Got the old girl going this morning. Turned out to be human error in the end - the fuel pipe had slipped off the carb and i didnt notice because i had the fuel off. Was only when i turned it back on that i noticed the leak, so it must've been sucking in air yesterday when i tried to start it :banana2: Took the opportunity while the carb was off to set the float tangs, and she runs sweet now and starts first kick :banana2: Thanks for all the suggestions though fella's - i'm sure they'll come in useful in the future.

Definitely!! Just got back from my first 'Proper' session on it. Took it to the local abandoned camp with my mate from next door and spent 4 hours working on my balance and bike control.....and wheelies lol! Its coming along nicely but boy am i tired now - it takes more out of me than i thought it would! Had an absolute blast though :banana2: