Ariel Options

steve47

Hi Guy's

Hi Steve.

A PAL Mag could be another option,if you can find one, and it could be a bit cheaper.

I was thinking along the same lines for the barrel, but you will also need a 500 head as well.

I have sent a 350 barrel off to the pattern maker to find the price of having some made with the 350 stud centers and then having the bore nicasil or ceramic coated. Will let you know the outcome.

Regards Charlie.

Bonjour,

Do you really need the extra power that a 500 adds. A well sorted 350 is more than capable of holding its own in todays Pre 65 sections.

Although I do remember quite vividly, Sammy Miller looking at my recently constructed Ariel at the Talmag one year and commenting rather disparaging when he saw it was only a 350.

Bon Chance

Frenchie

Hi Guy's

Hi Frenchie.

Your Bike is at a standard that perhaps all "Miller copies" should follow. And yes a 350 has better power for today(my opinion).

doing a bit of homework on the engine I feel 380 to 410 cc's is probably the optimum for power and plonk, but you would know better than me.

But I feel the 350 head should be used to get the right tractorbility. Only thinking about getting new barrel castings, as the alloy 350 barrels have dried up, and the new "teck" surfaces bring closer piston ring tolerances.

Regards Charlie.

the thinking behind the 500 barrel is that i cant find an ally 350,

i would much prefer the 350 as the power is just right for my ability

same as for a pal mag just cant seem to find one,plus i would like the most reliable

electrics there are,

Hi Guy's

Hi Steve.

Just hold fire untill I have news back from the pattern maker. The idea was to have the 350 barrels cast with options from 349cc upwards to 410cc.

I have sent him a cast barrel to take the pattern from that is out to about 380cc, but have told him to make the core smaller so that we have the range.

Another option on the mag that I have been tying with for ages, is to fit a Runtronic unit into a Lucas mag, these are available from Weston UK in Sittingbourne Kent. or just type in Runtronic on Google.

I would be intrested to know if any one as fitted and run this unit with any success.

Regards.Charlie.

Hi Guy's.

Hi Dave.

Thanks mate for the pictures,

Now no trials rider worth his salt can not say that the site of that bike does not make his blood stir.

What a Superb machine, you must be filled with pride building something like that. Just a shame you could not get to ride it.

Regard's Charlie.

Great looking Ariel, agree with Charlie, surely these are the bikes that people wish to see at the big events , and its a shame that the trend is now towards lightweight twostroke twinshock lookalikes.

Someones very lucky having that in their garage.

Bon Soir

Frenchie.

I agree with you both and fortunately I sold it straight back to the guy that I bought it from. As he rides regularly it wont sit in someones collection and never turn a wheel in the mud!

I did get to ride it in 2 trials and it performed very well indeed - actually it was more fun and not that much more difficult to ride than my trick Sprite (twinshock lookalike) bike. The only compromise is that you have to work harder when you get it off line.

By the way, it was a short stroke 350 bored to about 410cc and certainly not short of power!

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave

Dont you really wish you never sold a bike?

Well this is the one for me mate, i rode that bike for 2 years and enjoyed every ride on it.

Sold it after an under par ride on the manx classic 2 day in 2003, and regreted it ever since. ^_^

Guess who is collecting bits for one again :hl: