Ty250

stuessenhigh

The white framed model was introduced in 1988, there were no ty monoshock models before 1984, (they were twinshocks)

I think the "pinky" pink framed models were introduced around 1991 ish, i stand to be corrected on this point though.

"Pinky" TY250 Yamahas don't have pink frames. The pink bit is the seat/rear mudguard. The fork legs are blue. They also were the only air cooled monoshock TY250 model to have a front disk brake. They were the last air cooled TY250 model made and were sold here in OZ from 1991 to 1993. The watercooled TY250Z came here in 1994.

The only parts shared in common between the Pinky and the TY250Z are the front wheel.

I have TY350's. They are a dinosaur, but tough as nails. Moving from the twin shock to the mono I thought was the ultimate in handling. Time moves on.

The std mods on the 350 are trim the flywheel, machine the head, and clutch extender. I assume the 250 is similar. It is actually pretty good for beginners.

I added a front disk via GasGas front wheel and 4 piston caliper. Still heavy, but now I have brakes.

FOotpegs need to be lowered and converted to modern wide pegs. Maybe this winter.

k

If i am not mistaken isnt the crank case oil capacity on the side of the case? I remember 850cc for some reason on the side of my 92 pinky. Can anyone verify that and or take a picture? I also used 5 weight up front but I am a stick. The yamaha ty manuals are easy to come by. Check ebay or amazon. My pinky weighed 192lbs with fuel. Enjoy the bike! I know I did.

If i am not mistaken isnt the crank case oil capacity on the side of the case? I remember 850cc for some reason on the side of my 92 pinky.

The oil capacity of the Pinky was 800cc and it was stamped on the side of the clutch casing just behind the kickstart. This is the total amount and, for periodic change, the manual recommends 750cc.

The manual also gives a basic weight for the Pinky (with oil and fuel) of 87Kg (191.8lb).

You can find lots of info on the range of TYs at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ty-list

• 4 weeks later...

I,m new to the forum so hi, Y,all.

Just bought myself one of those "dinosauruses", a week ago. :o

Having not ridden a trials bike for 20 years I was a bit naive to say the least. It started and ran well so I made an offer of

Edited by wallace

Wallace: The 250 has a cast iron sleeve and can be rebored. The 350 is chrome on alum and cannont be rebored. Has to be bored and sleeved, or etched out and nikasil replated. Both are expensive, probably more then the bike is worth.

Are you sure it is mechanical knock or rattle? TY all rattle on combustion knock, especially on trailing throttle. search prior posts about removing head gasket or machining the head.. and blending higher octane gas.

You may get by with new pin or piston. Basically, you may be stuck with Yam parts. Stock rings for 350 are cast iton to run on chrome bore. Wiseco and others have chromed rings for CI bore, and can't run chrome on chrome. I don't know of any sources of pistons and black rings.

Pistons are $150 here, not sure of your situation. Chrome is hard, doesn't usualoy wear, but can indicate bad air filter care. Sand take it out, or loose pistons and running hot. The chrome next to exhaust port starts wearing away. If the chrome is starting to peel off you are in trouble. If not, I would check the pin and clearances and nothing is really bad just replace rings and run it as is.

kj

Thanks for the info Kevin. :lol:

I will strip the top end soon and check the pin, piston and rings for wear.

I have taken on board your suggestion that a replacement standard size piston kit may be enough to quiet the low end clicking.

The compression is very good.

The power is good.

Its just the clicking thats bugging me.

I have budgeted

Edited by wallace

wallace: wrtie me off line and I'll send you a file of notes on teh TY.

Also, 'Alan B was checking on posting Chris Johnsons mods on this site. Few people update the TY anymore, so CJ said go ahead and pass around.

Trimming the flywheel is a must. Clutch extender arm, and adding hex nut on the bottom of cable housing help the clutch a lot.

I changed to a GasGAs front wheel and mounted the 4 piston disk front brake. I will lower the foot pegs also. Beyond that, you can't reallymake up for 20 yrs of progress, and they have a 30+ lb weight disadvantage, but still a fun bike.

k