Long Distance Trials - Trail Bike Trials

lingo75

Hey All - im a "standard" trials rider (315r) but have recently read about LDT's and TBT's. Anyone know when any are on Near Guildford/Aldershot ish. I woudl also love to do some green lane-ing on my Trail bike (DR 125 - bless) anyone know where i can find out legal routes of groupl i can join near me for a burn??

Ta

Dan

If you have an 18" rear wheel, all you will need is a trials tyre with a security clamp and a smaller front sprocket and I should think the little DR would make a really good LDT bike.

There are lots of events for this type of machine, many of the riders who enter are trail and enduro riders rather than regular trials riders, so you will probably find yourself fairly well up the results even on a 125!

The Wygate is coming up soon, that might be a good one to start with. ;)

Dan. I was a member of the Motor Cycling Club (MCC) for years and have competed in Citroen Dyanes and Austin 7s, and in 2006 did the Edinburgh (In Derbyshire!) Trial on a Honda 400/4 on road tyres! Their trials are all a flippin' long way from East Anglia though so I've got back into 'modern' trials recently.

They hold 3 annual trials, 2 of which usually have a start near Basingstoke. You ride through the night usually, sometimes doing up to around 5 sections in the dark (bonkers but a real buzz) and finish around mid-afternoon the next day. They take you to some amazing places and they really are real trials - of physical and mental strength, and bike prep. They've been held for years and years so you get a real sense of history when you're riding hills that have been used since the early 20th Century too.

All their sections are run on the principle of get to the top without footing and you're clean. Dab and you've failed! Certainly concentrates the mind, and the feet! The hills are mostly green lanes or by-ways and as such are not too extreme, and the cars will go the same route usually, so they are not too bad. However the organisers often put little diversions in to sort the men from the boys. There's usually some timed special tests which can be good fun as well. As Pete says you'll probably find yourself reasonably competitive and your bike will be ideal - not too much of a handful when you're tired.

I can thoroughly recommend them. There's a real sense of achievement even to get a finisher's certificate, let alone an award.

MCC Website

Dan

Can I put in a plug for the Cheltenham Homeguard Sphinx long distance trial? I'm a member of the organizing club so obviously I'm biased. The event is around 65 miles and 30 sections mostly 'no inspection'. The event is aimed at trail bikes so sections aren't too difficult. Starts from Hazleton 10 miles east of Cheltenham on the A40. Date Sunday 19th April. The regs will be out in a few weeks.

Regards

Sam.

Thanks Sam,

i was getting excited then but i think i will probably be doing the North Hants Trial on Bagshot Heath that day. Where will i find the regs for "Cheltenham Homeguard Sphinx" when they come out as i will still have a look and then decide.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help - this forum is great

2009 Pathfinder 3-Stage Trial

Sunday, 5th April at Training Area D1, The Maultway, Bagshot.

Anyone know what the format for this is? its all on private land so would use my mont. what is different from a normal trial? - it seems very expensive at

Dan

The regs for the Sphinx trial will be on the Western Centre ACU website - www.acuwesterncentre.org.uk.

PS

I've ridden a few 3 stage trials and they are good fun. Stage 1 will be a circuit of a couple of miles with maybe 10 sections you ride 3 laps with normal trials marking in the sections. Stage 2 is like a timed trial so you ride the same loop with normal trials marking but must finish within a time limit maybe 1 hour for 3 laps and time penalties if late. Stage 3 is like an enduro. You have to ride say 10 laps of the circuit in 1.5 hours but with no marking in the sections and time penalties if late.

I've probably made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Give it a go. Can be hard work on a proper trials bike standing up all day though.

Regards

Sam.

Dan

Can I put in a plug for the Cheltenham Homeguard Sphinx long distance trial? I'm a member of the organizing club so obviously I'm biased. The event is around 65 miles and 30 sections mostly 'no inspection'. The event is aimed at trail bikes so sections aren't too difficult. Starts from Hazleton 10 miles east of Cheltenham on the A40. Date Sunday 19th April. The regs will be out in a few weeks.

Regards

Sam.

The Sphinx is a superb event. Have ridden this one many times, the last few on my DRZ400. Very good!