1999 Tx250 Knocking Noises - Engine

dickiem

Been out on it a few times now (had it about a month) and I'm not sure if the motor is knocking in some way or it's just a normal noise. It starts and runs OK (but doesn't like ticking over, despite altering that).

What are the classic symptoms of big end/little end bearing wear, how do you identify which it is and how big a job are they to change?

I'm pretty confident at having a go DIY but don't want to do a bottom end strip down if it's only a top end problem.....or should I just leave it until running is affected?

Have you cleaned the carb and checked the pilot jet? The knock could just be a lean condition from a blocked or too small of jet. It will also fix your idle problem.

I haven't no but that might be a good suggestion, tried a couple of steep inclines recently and it felt choked up so that might be the culprit :D

Have you cleaned the carb and checked the pilot jet?

Right, gonna have a go at this tonight. Excuse my ignorance, but which jet is the pilot jet? Downloaded a service manual but the details are vague and nothing has any detailed labelling :D

The pilot jet is the side jet, you should be able to notice the size difference between the pilot & the main jet

I also have this knocking noise on my bike, i took the bike to go on a dyno-mometer, and the guy reccomended a different pilot jet as the bike was running rich & a different needle, so i have ordered them & he said it should be perfect when they are put in. but i still haven't got the jets yet lol.

It didn't help at all with Sam Haslam taking the original Keihin carb off, which was set up by GG UK prefectly with the right jets (factory secret), and putting a standard dellorto back on, i have bought another Keihin for it now, but still with standard jets in, so i'm going to get them changed ASAP!

Cheers

Ben.

Edited by GasGasben

....the guy reccomended a different pilot jet as the bike was running rich & a different needle, so i have ordered them

Do you have details (sizes) of what's been ordered. Cleaned mine out tonight and no difference :D

Do you have details (sizes) of what's been ordered. Cleaned mine out tonight and no difference :D

I don't know exactly, because my dad ordered them, although i think the pilot jet is 40, if the standard one is 45

I'll ask about the needle though.