cota 247 oil

merlin4x4

hi.all.

i am new to this forum and am hoping some of you may be able to help me.

i have a montesa cota 247 which i have owned for the last twenty years or so, and the last 15 years

it has been in bits and boxes in the garage. having recently moved it nearly went to the scrapman but i decided

to keep it in the end. i have started to put it back to gether again to se if i can get it running.

so far so good but i now need to put some oil in the engine and gear box but i dont no what type and amount

to put in. so far i have discoverd it is a 1972 model.

any help would be of great help as this is a classic bike and it deservs better than sitting in a pile of

bits just rotting away.

many thanks

stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I have a 1971 cota 247. I use a 40:1 fuel/oil ratio.....Castrol 2 stroke oil. For the clutch I use 7Floz of ATF (automatic transmission fluid). For the gearbox I use 10.5 Floz of SAE 90w. For the Forks I use 6.5Floz of SAE 30w per leg. Hope this helps Dan.

Hi Stephen,

I have a 1971 cota 247. I use a 40:1 fuel/oil ratio.....Castrol 2 stroke oil. For the clutch I use 7Floz of ATF (automatic transmission fluid). For the gearbox I use 10.5 Floz of SAE 90w. For the Forks I use 6.5Floz of SAE 30w per leg. Hope this helps Dan.

cheers dan that helps alot. just need to get some oil now and a couple of other bits and then see if it will

start for the first time in years.

thanks

stephen

Recommended fuel ratio is 4% so 25:1 - new oils are good but I don't have problems with fouling at that mix.

Original manual states

Gearbox SAE-90 - 300cc
Clutch SAE 10 W30 200cc
Forks SAE 20 or 30 190cc ( most people appear to use Auto Trans Fluid ATF) I used it last change and I think it is an improvement.
Send me message I can shoot you a copy of the useful pages of the manual - most is in Spanish sad.gif

Edited by keychange

• 3 years later...

• 5 years later...

I have a 72 King Scorpion ,I'm 61 years young ,actually have 2 of them , riding one and restoring the other contemplating putting it in my living room so I can drool over it ... I had this same bike when I was a teeny Bopper in the 70's...anyway , I need to completly drain and refil engine/trans fluids , any tips on how and where to get all the old lubricants evacuated , and where to fill same , thanks from dirt Bike heaven WYOMING  Ben