30th Jan 2010 - Spen Valley or Horsforth? Times?

jonabonospen

I am looking to maybe have a go at trials riding and was pointed in the direction of the Spen Valley trial and the Horsforth trial both on this Sunday (30th) to go have a watch of what it is like. Been on both club websites to find details but it doesn't say anything about start times or anything. As a spectator what time is best to turn up? I dont want to turn up early and be stood around waiting while things are set up or whatever as I will have my little nephew with me and he will be getting restless just waiting and not watching bikes. So when is best to turn up? Also which do people think would be better for a total novice to go watch, Horsforth or Spen Valley? I understand the Horsforth one is a Beginner and Novice trial which I thought would give me a good idea of the things I could potentially be attacking early on, but dont know what the Spen Valley trial is in terms of novice or difficult etc. Spen Valley is closest but want to try see something relevant to what I could be doing.

The Horsforth trial starts at 11am at Deer park & the Spen Valley trial starts at 12 at Cliffe Lane, Cleckheaton, I'd say you're probably best to turn up when the trial has just started or maybe 10 mins before hand. I Think both trial's will be quite similar but as you say the Horsforth one is a novice & beginner which may give you a good idea of a starting point.

Edited by BenBeta23

Ok Spen valley is at the more compact course of the 2. So not as far to walk around. If you aim to get there for the start time then the riding kicks off pretty much on time so no hanging around for the young un. Spen is a combined results trial the easy route would be harder than that in an beginner trial but will be a better watch than easier beginner sections. The hard course will be stiff and will make for better viewing than novice course.

Horsforth are up at Deer park which is possibly not as easy to walk a young un around - either way enjoy which ever you choose to watch!

Bring your wellies if going to Cliffe Lane ! And better to park up the top of the acesss lane and walk down as it can get busy at the bottom in the riders car park area ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Scoobydo

What would Harry Hill say!!! Spen vs Horsforth! FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaHa,

Get yourself to both i say, then you'll never think you've missed out.

Come Horsforth, im not being biased honest govner!!!!

No seriously, Deer park is like Tele cat says, flat and is pretty compact. And if were playing top trumps here.

We are running small wheels too, so the young un can have a watch of kids his age! :icon_salut:

Just to clarify I love Spen and Horsforth Trials and we have been doing them for a number of years.

Now Tips on both venues

Get there about 15 mins before the start and have a look at how to enter, who is the secretary and where the entry forms are. Saves time later on. You'll also get an insight into the bikes, the best way to carry them and the best gear to wear.

At both wear a good pair of boots. The Stalwarts is muddy off the old Railway line and you may have to cross a stream or boggy ground to get a good view. If you are taking kids make sure they understand that the bikes can hurt them and the best places to stand to avoid getting tangled up. Most riders have children of their own so are tolerent. And be careful not to get in the way in the sections. Even the riders fall foul of this one!

At Both Venues it is possible to park on the road rather than use the field. If you aren't used to parking in fields,(especially at this time of year!!), or haven't a 4x4 it might be best to do this until you know what you are getting into :) . The last Stalwarts had parking in the owners yard.

At the Stalwarts there is an old railway line embankment that follows the course. However most sections are at the bottom of the banks either side so you may have to negotiate the slopes to get a better view. Sections usually go anti clockwise or clockwise from section one up one side of the embankment to the Railway tunnel(shut off so no problem), and back down the track bed and around a wooded area before coming back over the bank. (that's anti clockwise, turn it around if the course is running clockwise).

Deer Park is more of a escarpment venue. It's mainly rocks in a shallow incline. It's only boggy in places and the initial sections tend to be closer to the car parking and road than the Stalwarts. Usually the section numbers increase going away from the car park and at least two can be seen from one vantage point. Hence once you get to the last section it's a blast back to section 1.

Both clubs are very friendly and you'll see a variety of bikes old and new. You can join the club there abd get your ACU form stamped ready for sending off.

Whichever one you go to make sure you are warm and enjoy it!!

What would Harry Hill say!!! Spen vs Horsforth! FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaHa,

Get yourself to both i say, then you'll never think you've missed out.

Come Horsforth, im not being biased honest govner!!!!

No seriously, Deer park is like Tele cat says, flat and is pretty compact. And if were playing top trumps here.

We are running small wheels too, so the young un can have a watch of kids his age! :icon_salut:

Ok if its a Harry Hill FFFFFight!!!!!!!!!

Then Spen can put up BIG LEIGH for our corner - Who have the horses got then ? hehehehe :rotfl:

Cheers for all the advice guys. Am going to just go to the Spen trial today as time is a little limited. My nephew isnt coming with me now but my mate and his little dog will be with me instead so if you see us walking around then feel free to say hello. I will be wearing a high viz coat and rigger boots, and like I say, walking around with another guy and his little dog.