Column No. 205 - Bemrose Loses Its Blossom

Andy

Seems a bit harsh that people ride this series from all over the country some travelling long distances to secure points only to be told that there will be no points awarded for classes B,C & D?

Would have been better to scrub the sections surely?

Just a week earlier my own club organised the second round of the Normandale series which attracted 169 starters. We possibly had a few too many for the land which proved to be quite wet (in contrast to the Bemrose which was as dry as I’ve ever seen it), but the real problem for us at the end of the event and commented upon by our forgiving landowners was the huge amount of litter left behind.

As a club we failed miserably as we should have had a litter collecting party on hand at the finish when everybody had gone home. But darkness was falling and the day had been long and arduous, suffice to say we didn’t do a pick up when we should have.

But should we? As a club we have every right to expect riders to respect the land we use and not leave behind a significant amount of litter. So please, let this be a reminder to all and sundry, no matter what the trial, leave the land as you found it please.

Easy answer is to do what we do and issue a black bag to every rider as they sign on, not expensive and it put's the onus on the riders. Apart from anything else the woman who does our environmental stuff at Bon Accord is a right harridan....... ;)

Can't provide answers to the Bemrose issue but there was obviously a breakdown in communications somewhere, unlucky for them

Edited by Andy

"However, it proved to be the best of a bad job and the later results, issued at the end of the week have been considered as final. Classes A, E and F get points, classes B, C and D don

Not for me to comment on the Bemrose but regards litter I was under the impression that EVERYONE is responsible for thier own mess (litter) whether they have paid for an entry ,whether they are a superstar, whatever the circumstances, As a regular observer at the scottish I find particularly if I have a section after a fuel /lunch stop whatever that not only do I have to pick up the neccesary stuff for having a trial but I then have to collect and carry (sometimes 20 miles across the moors )a bagfull of rider generated crap in order to dispose of it. How is it that people (and it's not just us lot in trials) seem to think that landowners don't notice what gets left behind after we've all gone home?. Perhaps if we adopted the mindset of being invited into the mother in law or the bosses garden where we wouldn't dream of leaving tyre inflator bottles , drink cans bottles paper plastic bags etc etc. we wouldn't have this problem. Imagine inviting or allowing 100 plus strangers to visit your own garden and finding 50 items of litter after they have all gone home; how would you feel? Perhaps another idea would be to advise all competitors now that if I see a competitor or his supporters littering my section/ control area I will quietly make a note of his riding number and award suitable punishment marks at the next opportunity. Whilst I am only too pleased to help anybody in trouble I don't regard myself as being there to wipe/kiss ass and clear up behind competitors. Organisers and officials are volunteers who want to make our sport happen which is hard enough in this day an age without extra unneccesary burdens such as litter being left.

the real problem for us at the end of the event and commented upon by our forgiving landowners was the huge amount of litter left behind. So please, let this be a reminder to all and sundry, no matter what the trial, leave the land as you found it please.

Totally agree with Mike's comment re litter.

As well as Chris having a pop at the riders, observing a spectator section at the Scottish is a well known PITA due to the litter left behind by spectators. Lagnaha on a hot day? Couldn't be in a better place, unless of course you have to go round picking up the beer cans, bottles, sandwich packets, sweetie wrappers etc left behind!

Just remember that we're on the land as guests...TAKE IT HOME!!