Beta Evo 4T

wright4d

After a big off how much engine oil would you expect to see in the air box ? after the weekend I found quite a big puddle in there. And before you answer don't have an off I just can't help it that's the way it is.

After a big off how much engine oil would you expect to see in the air box ? after the weekend I found quite a big puddle in there. And before you answer don't have an off I just can't help it that's the way it is.

Are you sure it isnt a build up of foam filter oil thats dropped away from the filter into to bottom of the air box ?

If you think its engine oil - look in the carb for proof.

I wont say dont have an off - rather try to stay on the bike ! :hyper:

Yes after a big off on a 4T, transmission oil can be found in either the air box or the air boot from air box to carb. You will not see this this oil pool in the carb so looking there will be redundant. The oil gets in the air box or boot vie the breather hose that goes from the engine cases back to the air box and not back through the carb as Scoobydo is indicating. This pooling is normal and nothing to be alarmed about. After all when you flip the bike and the transmission air breather is now at the low point the oil has no were to go but out along the hose into the air box.

Even if one does not flip the 4T the transmission oil if to full will also make its way back into the air box vie the breather hose.

As for the qty of oil, that depends on how long the bike sat upside down and if it was running or not. :moon:

Just make sure you soak up the excess oil in the air box or air boot or it will make the bike run rich and ratty as it sucks it through the carb.

Edited by BillyT

There is already a drain plug on the Beta 4T air box. However that will not take care of the transmission oil that builds up in the folds and ripples in the air-boot that goes from air box to carb. One can look into the air box and not see any oil build up yet there can be a lot of oil pooling in the boot. See the next post to see what I mean.

Edited by BillyT