Duluth Report

jjwhite

"farming Sections" has been going on for years it's up to observers to police it and police it across the board. At this year's pre 65 scottish a very well known rider with a rapidly improving very good son, was watched by the crowd at Mam Brec filling in the gap below the big root that was catching everyone out. He knew he was last of the leaders on the route so the advantage was there.

The observer ignored it even though he watched it happen. this rider is reknown for his farming antics and if he ever wrote a book he could call it no stone unturned !!

It's called cheating in simple terms and probably professionalism in world terms. Call it what you like it's still cheating. Anyone who observes a trial has to enough iron will to make it fair for everyone, that means stopping the cheats......

dy

Edited by Slapshot 3

That wouldn't be Dave Thorpe would it?

In his defence, and more generally, alot of people move flattern and in the deep south here tread in lines in cambers and the like which is sometimes of benefit to all the entry, and I've never seen Dave or anyone else for that matter go back and take the "helper" out. I'm not sure its clearly cheating, its more a question of degree which makes it right or wrong, and herein lies the problem, what is acceptable varies enourmously.

This is a great discussion, it's refreshing to see everyone chipping in on this.

Bikespace,

Thanks for the specific rule number, apparently I didn't "SCOUR" it too well LOL.

Craig,

You're absolutely right, if this was being done in such a trivial place in our section, who knows how many other times it had been done in other sections. I was not personally given the printed sheet you mentioned, it may have been in the Section Captain's packet, but I did not see it.

Dabber,

The Golf analogy is one that I too had been thinking of since Duluth. I believe that there are a few factors in play here; the golf crowds are bigger and more rules savvy, also there are cameras on the pro golfers at all times. It's hard to escape scrutiny when you have so many people/press around that will actually make a stink about the pro

Quad - I agree about the golf at the top level, but it also seems to work at club level too. A colleague has recently joined a golf club and as part of the process of joining the club he was interviewed to make sure he knew the rules.