Boots Digging Into The Back Of My Ankle, Solution?

superdafz

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

Im new to riding and having a struggle with my boots.

I have some Novogah boots which have a stiffening/protection strip running down the back, this ends just above my heel and during 2 hours riding yesterday I managed to chafe the skin off the backs of the ankles quite badly.

Any solution? I was thinking about a piece of mudflap material or something but I would imagine I'd get some more sensible suggestions on here.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sounds like you're getting heel lift. A common problem in climbing boots when you're front pointing on crampons or skinning uphill on skis.

Persevere with it until the boots break in, my climbing boots are now like slippers.

In the meantime, buy some Compeed gel blister patches to prevent further blisters. Tip - wait until the patches fall off (can take some days) don't be tempted to pull them off as the skin will come with them.

If these are new boots, they probably need some breaking in. The best way I have find is to wear them a few minutes each day doing regular things. It doesn't have to be riding.

A riding buddy of mine had a similar thing happen to the tops of his feet where they meet the ankle. We found that if you stand the boots on the soles to dry, they bend down and dry in a sort of wrinkle. This wrinkle causes chafing where they hit the skin. By drying them on their side or upside down on a boot rack, the calf portion of the boot dries straight and the chafing problem went away. Maybe this will help you also.

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I have some Novogar boots and I've managed to lose the the plastic strap with the serrated edge and the plastic clip that it fastens in to. The clip fastens into the plastic lug on the boots and the strap slides into the clip "if you see what I mean"

Anyone know where I can buy these plz ? Thanks.

If these are new boots, they probably need some breaking in. The best way I have find is to wear them a few minutes each day doing regular things. It doesn't have to be riding.

A riding buddy of mine had a similar thing happen to the tops of his feet where they meet the ankle. We found that if you stand the boots on the soles to dry, they bend down and dry in a sort of wrinkle. This wrinkle causes chafing where they hit the skin. By drying them on their side or upside down on a boot rack, the calf portion of the boot dries straight and the chafing problem went away. Maybe this will help you also.

If you hose your boots clean, upside down on a couple of 'borrowed' traffic cones (ask a student :) ), then they don't get wet inside and air out nicely.

• Like 2

If you hose your boots clean, upside down on a couple of 'borrowed' traffic cones (ask a student :) ), then they don't get wet inside and air out nicely.

I like your idea of the traffic cones. Some days the boots end up wetter inside that outside even before I hose them off.