First Ride... Lesson Learned, Have Questions

dieseltwitch

So I took my shinny bike out, a 06 GG raga 300. It did not go well. Hahaha had plenty traction just no enough talent.

Few question, how should my clutch be setup. It feels like it doesn't engage until it's almost all the way out, to be fair I have been riding with an auto clutch on my 12' 500xc-w so I'm having to re learn the clutch but it still feels a little used.

What is a US based source for trials gear, helmet, boots, gloves..... I'm guessing my heavy water proof riding pants are not suited for this sport... Lol

What things should I focus on to get started. I've been rolling around my lot working on slow control and trying to balance. I can. Hold it at a lock and balance for 10-15 seconds before I lose it. I also can go very slow with the front straight and keep my balance. Lame for the vets I'm sure but hey this is day 1! Lol.

Need some new parts after today. :( pinched the throttle cable.. Broke the throttle cover and scratched some handle bar stuff! Oh we'll let the good times roll.

I don't know a lot about my bike yet but will some inform me as to the gears, 1-4 seam to be low low and 5th seams like a transport gear... Info?

Edited by dieseltwitch

Holy Jesus, here we go again, and he has to start out on the lightest and most powerfull bike money can buy!

Step 1, just ride! Things come along in time and feel more natural.

Step 2, Enduro pants work fine, no spandex required. Might consider knee and elbow protection as falling is normal!

Step 3, find a local dealer or TrialspartsUSA for Gasser parts. You will likely need some.

Other stuff through dealers or distributors like RYPUSA.com or LewisportUSA.com

Yes, that is trials gearing.

Oh, and a gasser clutch is different as they use a diaphragm style like a car, feels different, although you may be able to back off the screw just a bit to get the bite point where you want and closer to finger, yet not too close because you want good feel!

Whilst I've been riding for decades I've only had my first trials bike for 6 months and can offer a few tips on how "we" go about the art of trials. Like an old ad says... an art worth learning!

We started with static balance. Motor off, tyres pressures down to 2 in front 1 in rear, hard surface like tiles or concrete.

Turn front wheel fully one way, rise up on pegs and balance as long as possible. We you dab turn wheel the other direction and get up again. When you get to 5 minutes start bringing tyre pressures up to normal and go again.

We started at seconds and I've now done 10 minutes with tyres low and around 4 minutes with tyres normal. Legs give out on the old bones!! Hehehehe

We practiced this 5-6 night s a week for 1/2 hr or so for first 2 months and now its about 3 times per week.

We ride most weekends to put during the week static into practice. While motor is warming up I practice static and do a 30 sec or so on return to base depending how buggered I am!.

Next....

We did figure 8's til we got dizzy!!! Hehehehe Then tighten them up, until, now I'm on full lock static and can move wheel forward 4 inches and brake to stop, hold and move 4 inches again until you complete one revolution then turn the other way and repeat.

This took a few months of practice 3-5 times a week to get to this level.

Start the fig 8's with clutch fully out and scribe a circle in the 8's suited to the bike speed. As you tighten them up you'll need to fan clutch and this will improve clutch control markedly

As you do fig 8's counter balance you backside a fair way out to opposite side. This is good technique for turning later on slopes.

Once you get reasonably competent with the above try going down a reasonable hill. Stop 6ft down by feathering brakes and hold static with wheel turned to almost lock...static for long as you feel you have to and return bars straight and go down another 6 ft and do again.

For clutch control try the same but uphill.... then some 180 deg turns on hillsides, clutch out and then slower and fan clutch.

You can also practice rear wheel balance by riding along a flat bit of ground slowly with clutch fully out... hit front brake momentarily to compress front... apply throttle and pull back on bars to raise front wheel a foot or two.... apply rear brake just enough to bring front down or reduce throttle... static balance and go again.

When accomplished at clutch control... try static with wheel turned... straighten wheel and release clutch with throttle to raise front wheel from static position... rear brake it down and pull up to static...go again!

Baby steps, baby steps... the slower you learn and the more practice you get gives the fastest result with minimal bad habits you might have to correct later.

Some beginner rules to try and live by...

One finger on clutch, one finger on front brake at all times... no more, no less!

Always cover the rear brake i.e. boot always just above it.

Knees bent and apart... arms relaxed and slightly bent.

Look further ahead than you think you should as a beginner, it seems to keep the bike on a straighter path and go where you want it to go rather than bike dictating.

One thing I can't go without is my dedicated trials boots... first bit of kit after helmet.

I've also fitted lanyards to both bikes so if I and bike part company the motor is killed instantly... goes around wrist.

As I said... this is only my perspective as a beginner others will have good advice as well, especially the more experienced riders.

Many learner vids on the site.... have peek at those, very informative!

Mags

Edited by mags
  • Like 2

the most important investment you can make to your bike riding / equipment is "gas", go ride. ride all you can. get used to the stock bike. riding is the most important thing 2nd is have fun riding. don't over think this just ride. find some trials buddies and ride. don't start off trying to be world champ just go ride. just remember it's not the bike it's the rider. go out and have fun riding.

enjoy yourself and welcome to the world of moto trials. for a beginner i don't even recommend trying to do stationary balancing, you won't even use it in a section for a long time. riding and learning the techniques for steps, logs and turns are most important. even thought our club uses rules that let us stop i can ride an entire advanced level trial without stopping in sections. novice and intermediate level section are laid out so the rider won't need to stop.

i guess your from an enduro background, well take your bike out to your familiar spots and go for a long ride and just have fun playing in the woods until you get used to what the bike does. no adjustments needed to the bike other than adjust the bars and levers for your comfort and go.

did i mention to have fun? gotta go ride

rob

Mags, static balance practice requires beer in one hand, one gets better quickly, not that you will use that skill in a section!

No wonder I'm having trouble... I have a beer in both hands! (XXXXWink)

Mags

how goes it, dieselwitch? lots of great tips here, another might be to soften the bike up a bit. a 300 can be a handful until you grow into it, but a slow action throttle can make full lock turns etc easier. if you have a mapping switch, try the soft setting. i've heard some guys put an extra washer or two on the spark plug to lower the compression, but can't say if that's a great idea or not.

in any case, welcome to an addictive habit that will be hard to shake!