Arbuthnot Trial

gautrek

hi you may be too late but the beamish trial is on sept 21 a lovely trial one lap normally about 130 miles across the northumberland fells it is run by the south durham section of the vintage motorcycle club the guy to see is tom norman ,16 south crescent hartlepool TS240QD, phone no 07951 746362, its a great trial with a mix of bikes with simple sections that will suit a newcomer or someone like me a sprightly 70 year old what can be more fun than hurling a big panther outfit at the northern country side . will.

Deryk I'm afraid to say I haven't seen Pete for a while. But I don't think he has made much more progress. He has a mobility scooter to get around so he can now at least leave the house when he is on his own. I will pop over to see him soon.

The good news with the bike is that my new springs from Australia turned up today so I didn't need to pick up the newly made ones. I will pick them up later in the week. I got the box back together and noticed another issue. The return springs actually catch on the gearchange pawl spindle. So I have had to knock this out and then file a flat on this and move it round so the split pin clears. This took me 3 or 4 attempts at rebuilding the box before it was all together. But we seem good to go. I just need to stick the box back in and then attach a horn and my tool rack and then we are ready.

By the way my number is 54 if you see me Jon.

I'll keep a look out for you,no idea of my number - or indeed if I have an entry.Bike is nearly ready to go,even if I'm not

I am setting off a 9-45 so will have a while to hang about. I have finally got mine back together and made it down the petrol station and back. So 80 miles should be fine. The good news is the box seems better and hasn't dropped out of 2nd gear yet so I may be ok attempting sheep s*** hill ( or what ever its called) . I did bottle it last year.

Ok,I phoned today,I'm #73 and my start time is 9.59. I usually like to be around the start good and early,so I'll catch up with you then.My Ajay seems to be in fine fettle, and all I need to do is unload the trailer of firewood so I can actually get the bike in it for sunday.Very much looking forward to it.

What a brilliant day out this was. Much merriment was had in the pub the night before. The weather was about right for this event. I met up with Jon at the start and then saw him a couple of times on the course. Unfortunately my gearbox is still not happy with staying in 2nd gear so all the climbs were a bit much for me with only having first. I span to halt on them all. I have decided that next year I will do the old mans route.

I have also decided I must bite the bullet and fit a later Burman box as the one in my bike is only a medium weight one and I think the low gearing is too much for it. So if anyone knows of a complete burman box with clutch going then let me know. It will entail major surgery on the panther as new gearbox plates will be needed.

Good to finally meet up ! Yes,it was an excellent day out,weather was spot on and because the sky was so clear we stopped loads of times to just take in the view.Shame you had gearbox problems,I can understand your difficulty,a couple of those sections were quite tasty and you needed to be 100% commited in the right gear to have any chance.Those sections would have been a different story had it been wet.

I just wish that all those lovely bikes were out being used more.I just don't understand it,I know some don't like closed to club four lap trials and some must assume that most classic trials are too hard,being aimed at twinshock stuff.But here in the south west it simply isn't the case.I suppose I can only keep on encouraging riders to come along and join in if they can.

I didn't ache as much as I thought - even managed some work today !

Well I have had some good news. I popped round my folks today to tell them about the weekend. After explaining about how it still keeps dropping out of gear I mentioned I was looking at fitting a later Burman box once I track one down. To which my dad replied I have one in the garage if you want it. So I returned home with a complete box which spins and doesn't seem in too bad nick. Even my spare clutch fits. I think its a GB box which was made in April 1954

I also got a barn find box off ebay last night for £35. Its rusted solid but that doesn't matter as I only wanted the cases as I need to get a new mount welded on the front as my Panther box has mounting points at 3 and 6 oclock. So I don't mind butchering the ebay cases as they look rough anyway.

Well I have had some good news. I popped round my folks today to tell them about the weekend. After explaining about how it still keeps dropping out of gear I mentioned I was looking at fitting a later Burman box once I track one down. To which my dad replied I have one in the garage if you want it. So I returned home with a complete box which spins and doesn't seem in too bad nick. Even my spare clutch fits. I think its a GB box which was made in April 1954

I also got a barn find box off ebay last night for £35. Its rusted solid but that doesn't matter as I only wanted the cases as I need to get a new mount welded on the front as my Panther box has mounting points at 3 and 6 oclock. So I don't mind butchering the ebay cases as they look rough anyway.

Hi gautrek,

I would love to know where the Arbuthnot goes, these days. It all started when Ian Rennie, who loves old motorbikes and long distance trials - but is also a Riley car nut, was offered a barn find Riley at a very attractive price.

But the deal was he cleared the barn of all the accumulated junk before removing the car. In the junk was an old metal trunk, and therein was a route card for the 1928 Arbuthnot Trial, an endurance trial for naval officers, commemorating Admiral Arbuthnot, who took his motorcycle to sea with him - the privilege of rank - and lot his life and bike when the ship was sunk in a naval battle. I researched the event, 'cos neither of us had ever heard about the trial before - and even the local sporting expert, my old friend Ralph Venables was equally astonished with the story. Then Ian and I set to trying to recreate it

With miraculous assistance from land-owners, highway officers of various councils and County councils, Ian and I managed to establish where the original route had been (bearing in mind it was in the format 'leave the start area and turn jeft, and in 350 yards take the track on the right..' and that referred to roads that had been there in 1928 but no longer existed in the same format in the 1970s.) There were new dual carriageways criss-crossing the area, etc., etc.

Then we gradually found every landowner and obtained their permission to return the trial to the calendar, virtually following that original route, then we enlisted the Salisbury club and away we went, a 'new' event for real bikes.

But time passes, I haven't been in the area for many years now and I still wonder what has happened to the event with all sorts of new conditions to deal with, no doubt new owners for the land, etc.

So if you have a current route card, or details of the map, OS refs even, that you could pass on, then I could relive some very pleasant memories.

Deryk Wylde

Edited by laird387

That's ok mate. if you could send me the Panther down in return that would be great :)

I would stick my few photos of the day up on this site but I seem unable to . The whole section at the top of the posting section is greyed out.

Hi,

Email your photos to me at offroarchive@gmail.com and I will happily put them on the site for you.

Cheers

Deryk