What Year Should I Get?

sawtooth

Looking for a newer (to me) Gas Gas 280, aside from whichever pops up at a good price/condition etc is there any particular year to avoid? I was thinking of getting a 2011 purely because it's not too new that I won't want to ride it properly for fear of scratches etc and not so old that it'll be falling apart. So if any 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2012 come up which should take preference?

i would go for the latest one you can afford, i have just had a 2013 txt and what a difference from my 1999 sherco, im going out on it tomorrow for the first time and my goal is to be able to do everything i can do on my sherco by the end of the day, if i drop it, so be it, from what i can see unless i have a major crash it will take quite a beating, on my last outing i lasted about 2 minuets before i went one way and my sherco went the other and snapped my clutch lever in the process but it's just part of the sport, good luck with your search.

i would go for the latest one you can afford, i have just had a 2013 txt and what a difference from my 1999 sherco, im going out on it tomorrow for the first time and my goal is to be able to do everything i can do on my sherco by the end of the day, if i drop it, so be it, from what i can see unless i have a major crash it will take quite a beating, on my last outing i lasted about 2 minuets before i went one way and my sherco went the other and snapped my clutch lever in the process but it's just part of the sport, good luck with your search.

Thanks yeah, the general feeling is that I'm happy spending anything around the £2600 as that should be a good balance between new and old (plus I just spent £7200 on a road bike, and am moving house in a few weeks so the wife would go mad if I spent 3 or 4k on another bike!), just wondering if there's a preferred year for any reason as sometimes you hear about things that were changed on a bike just for the sake of it and turn out to not as good as the previous year etc.

the one concern i had after getting my new bike home was it had a clicking noise, coming from the clutch area but if i puled the clutch in it disappeared, i went strait to the internet and i found out it's quite normal, there is a great little video on youtube about it, i don't know if the older models do it but don't let it put you off buying one if you here it, as long as the noise goes away after puling the clutch in.

the one concern i had after getting my new bike home was it had a clicking noise, coming from the clutch area but if i puled the clutch in it disappeared, i went strait to the internet and i found out it's quite normal, there is a great little video on youtube about it, i don't know if the older models do it but don't let it put you off buying one if you here it, as long as the noise goes away after puling the clutch in.

Thanks yeah my current '04 does it and also my 2014 Yamaha MT09 road bike also does it!

i would personally try and go for a 2011 + bike with the new frame and exhaust. it will hold its money better i believe ... 2011 gassers haven't really changed in value in the last (almost ) 2 years, still fetching round about £2650...

there solid bikes and the quality has improved an awful lot in the last few years. if going for a 280 or a 300 check for tiny cracks in the welds up near the headstock ( i have 3 crack ). i say 280/ 300 because they tend to be ridden bye expert rider - more stress on the frame. :stoned::stoned: expect normal clutch rattle, careful when starting because the idle gears chip so easy. there are some 2012s around for roughly the same money as 11s , again check for above issues. but i would avoid it if it has formula brakes fitted. dont get me started :P

i would personally try and go for a 2011 + bike with the new frame and exhaust. it will hold its money better i believe ... 2011 gassers haven't really changed in value in the last (almost ) 2 years, still fetching round about £2650...

there solid bikes and the quality has improved an awful lot in the last few years. if going for a 280 or a 300 check for tiny cracks in the welds up near the headstock ( i have 3 crack ). i say 280/ 300 because they tend to be ridden bye expert rider - more stress on the frame. :stoned::stoned: expect normal clutch rattle, careful when starting because the idle gears chip so easy. there are some 2012s around for roughly the same money as 11s , again check for above issues. but i would avoid it if it has formula brakes fitted. dont get me started :P

Thanks, had the idler gear go on mine so know about that. Good tip on the frame though, will look out for that also. Looks like it'll be an '11 bike I go for then. I'd rather have a tidy '11 than a battered '12 unless a mint '12 comes up at a good price.

Also whats with the brakes?

Edited by sawtooth

2011 + in agreement with that and go for the best for your cash .

had a 2013 and it was a great bike to ride , made me very confident.

Suspension is excellent , handling excellent confidence boosting excellent .

The way you can wheelie over everything just makes a mockery of obstetrical's.

Suspension linkage bearing seal design ,total shab. The silly little bit's that

break annoying especially the cost of them.

good luck pal .

2011 + in agreement with that and go for the best for your cash .

had a 2013 and it was a great bike to ride , made me very confident.

Suspension is excellent , handling excellent confidence boosting excellent .

The way you can wheelie over everything just makes a mockery of obstetrical's.

Suspension linkage bearing seal design ,total shab. The silly little bit's that

break annoying especially the cost of them.

good luck pal .