Techno Engine Started Tapping And Then Stopped Running.

jon015

I just changed my gearbox gasket and refilled the coolant. Took it out for a run up a big hill and a tapping sound started from the engine which got progressively louder, within a few minutes it give up. I am just wondering if maybe I did'nt put enough coolant in? I filled it to the top, but maybe it has to cycle through? Also I am now thinking my fan also stopped working as the engine seemed to overheat, because when it died there was a bit of smoke/steam coming from the head. Also a little oil was seen leaking from the head, just above where it says Beta. I am going to try to fix it myself, but not exactly sure what I am looking for as never really stripped an engine? Could it just be a gasket or more serious? I am sure the head had turned a darker colour from overheating also.

post-9170-0-29763200-1413281744_thumb.jpg

that looks like its been red hot , is it poss your water pump didnt go back together properly and failed , you could of had an air lock , or maybe just the fan failed , but it now looks like the top end needs removing as your cylinder and piston are probably goosed , remove front pipe and get a look up exhaust port ,,, if you dont know what you are doing i would strongly advise someone else rebuilding it as one small thing over looked and your back at square one and its easy enough for said be experienced people to miss something or replace a small part incorrectly and cause engine damage

Possibly an airlock, it seemed to take very little coolant before appearing full. I will remove the front pipe, and have a look and also get a friend to help me, who knows more than me. Any idea how much a new piston and cylinder would cost, as no point stripping until I can afford the parts. Also I heard of a way to connect the fan that it runs all the time, as the thermostat/controller is quit pricey? Cheers

piston around 100 120,rings maybe seperate extra 10ish replate around 120 post x2 20ish gaskets little end pin odds n sods another 30ish so could be 300 odd , i would speak to your dealer or maybe see if any breakers have a top end try allens spares uk they are on ebay

Edited by zerorev3rev4

I am wondering if you may have two separate issues. The noise may stem from changing the main clutch cover gasket, it is possible that have let a shim fall into the clutch cover side of the motor. The shim in question may have come off of the kickstart shaft or the gear shift shaft, what sometimes happens sometimes is that the shim gets sucked up into the main drive gear between the clutch basket and the main gear on the crankshaft. You may also have a cooling problem.

Ouch...there is a small Allen head bolt on the left side top of the rad to let trapped air out...when coolant comes out, close it.

To check fan, touch the two wires together at thermostatic switch at top of head when running. You may get shocked.

I have had trouble finding a replacement cylinder for my techno so replating is probably the best route for you. Beta's use vertex pistons. I paid aprox 200 for mine years ago.

My cylinder finally corroded away at the o ring seal and now exhaust goes into the coolant so I'm out of luck.

Good luck with yours...mine was a great bike for years.

I also forgot to mention that the electric fan system was the only real problems I ever had.

Thermostatic switch needed a few times.

Replaced the fan twice...160 bucks ten years ago. When washing, avoid hitting the fan with water...this is common on all trials bikes.

Hope this helps.