Which Is The Best 125 Gasgas Piston?

shercoben12

hi, had my 125 gasgas 2014 for 7 months now, loved it. it has been ridden pretty much every weekend with tons of practice inbetween.

although power still seems good the top end is begging to sound like a bag of spanners. think its time to freshen it up with new piston and rings or just rings? my question is what is the best piston to buy? looking for something that will last well just like the one in it now . i have looked at the s3 piston and that looks good. has anyone used this piston and can comment on how it lasts/power? was also thinking of coupling this up with an s3 high comp head and keihin carb for the spring and summer. other than s3 and standard, i cant seem to find any other makes. please could someone with some experience let me know what they think is best.

ps, i know people are going to say that just ride it and dont worry about noise... lol im not worried about it i just prefer my bikes to run spot on and sound good and run faultless.

cheers :)

Edited by shercoben12

S3 have been supplying the standard pistons and cylinders in them for a few years now, I think the black skirt ones with the coating came out in around 09/10.

On an 2014 bike the only choice is S3 as the piston and barrel are made by them, S3 also do the ported barrel too as an aftermarket replacement.

It depends on what is causing your noise, You will need to strip down and check, It could be just a noisy small end bearing, If its a noisy piston you will need a piston kit and have the cylinder checked too for wear.

You must really ride that bike hard if it's worn that quickly.

ALexz Wigg won the 2006 wtc, european junior, and did BTC's all on the same piston and rings on a 125cc gasser that year so id be surprised if there isnt another reason why the bike has developed a noise. Certainly Pistons should last longer than a few months with proper lubrication and sympathetic riding?

As above s3 make the standard stuff for GG .

As I said the bike is ridden all the time. got 200+ Hours on it . And that's high revs in mud. Just want to get rid of the noise and look after it .. Not trying to be the next Alexz wigg

He did the whole season on one top end? Really?!

Edited by shercoben12

lol im still on original filter. cleaned every other ride properly. why should i have to buy new ones when i can clean it? do they loose effectiveness or something? new to me haha. to be honest its probably a few more hours than that! during school holidays always going places and trials. airbox sealing is pretty good but may make a flap to put infront of airbox because it seems to take in alot of mud sometimes. 100mls of global racing oil (gasgas factory) to 5l of supreme unleaded. (99) will get a vid tomorrow.

i saw another post of some guy with a 250 gg with similar hours but a few years older which lost compression and they recommended some new rings. on my bike you can push the kick start lever down from the top really really easily with just a hand.

the noise sometimes is quiet sometimes gets louder. its not too bad but would rather have it running sweet

Edited by shercoben12

It's fine to clean filters, I only replace when the glue starts coming apart or bits start falling off them. It's more important in the dry as dust is the biggest problem. I always put a thin smear of chain lube or grease around the inside of the airbox to trap some of the dust before it gets to the filter.

It will be interesting to know what the rattle is, You say it comes and goes and that to me sounds like it's not the small end bearing.

Does it do it when cold or hot.

It could be running lean and knocking occasionally when hot and that may be the problem. It could be coked up and just need the top end cleaning.

To the untrained ear a lean pinking bike will sound like it's got an engine problem.

Definatly worth properly sealing the airbox as dabster has mentioned.

Mine was done either at the factory or when pdi'd in the u.k but not very well, I have re done mine with tiger seal as it makes the airbox stronger and less likely to break in a flip. The air boxes are held together by a few plastic pegs and phillips screws so the top part snaps in half very easy.

It's a pain if you want to take the airbox apart again, but if bonded and sealed properly, it will last the lifetime of the bike unless you really hit it hard and smash it to bits.