Rear Shock Swivel Bearing Replacement?

pearson23

I'm beginning to regret what I've started when decided to re-build my bike.

In the process of replacing dog bone bearings and really struggling to remove the bearings from inside the actual swing arm, hammer and punch method!

I've also noticed there is a lot of play in the swivel type bearing in the bottom of the rear shock but cant see how to remove it? Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Easiest is to press those bearings out using a press, home made tool, or some old sockets. Big socket on the side where you want to push it out, correct size socket on the bearing and press it in a press or use a bench vise.

For the last bearing you are asking about will work the same.

Here some examples (random) https://www.google.nl/search?q=socket+bearing+press&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZcUSVdPbHI32aorTgbgL&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=805#imgdii=_

Edited by crazybond700

Thanks for the reply.

I've used the socket press method on the dogbone bearings but struggling with the bearings which are back to back within the swingarm itself, there is not enough purchase space to punch out and too muct resistance and lack of space to use the socket press method.

Blow Torch option is next but never really like this method......

Pearson

Not that I have ever done these but I am doing the back end on my 4RT this weekend and I have already removed the bearings on the Dog bone using a socket fairly easily

I did notice in the book that when I come to do the bottom shock bearing it has a steel clip that holds it in. I believe its like a very fine circlip that if I am right has one each side of the bearing and you should get new clips with the new bearings

Hope this helps

Fatty

Warm the swing arm up,hot enough so you can still touch it and use the sockets method with length of 12mm studding through them.You have to do the nuts up pretty tight but they will come out .Never failed yet

To change the bottom shock rose joint/Spherical bearing You need to remove the bushes either side 1st to gain access to the clip that holds the bearing in. The bushes can be a pain to get out without destroying them.

On some shocks the bearing is just a press fit so it can be pushed out with the bushes in place, Had a Beta 80 in the workshop like this yesterday.

I'm not sure on the Gas Gas std shock but the Ohlins & Reiger have a clip.

Try and be careful with the bushes as they are expensive so you want to re use them if you can, The bearing is about £12 from a bearing shop.

The center swing arm bearings don't usually cause much trouble, I have an old socket and a 10" 3/8 extension bar I use to beat them both out together the same way.

Be carefull refitting them as there is a gap between them in the middle so tap them in either side till there is just enough space for the seal.

Thanks for all the responses,

I've found a mate with a press who can do the dog bones, (hopefuly)

The rear shock seems simple enough now I've had chance to investigate further just need to order new bearing. (Two variations)

Will just have to give the housed bearings a whack with punch and hammer.