Drain Bolt/threads

heffergm

Nearly new bike, second oil change, start screwing the drain bolt back in (by hand) proceed to continue with ratchet when I feel it start to tighten up. Realize the bolt isn't anywhere near being fully threaded in and stop, remove bolt.

Threads are totally galled. No idea what's going on, since it came out without a problem and this is the second oil change. Stick a q-tip in the drain hole and find a bunch of the usual new gearbox metal shavings, along with one nice big metal chunk that I have to imagine the bolt got hung up on and made a mess of the threads.

Now the problem is that a new bolt still won't thread cleanly. It feels like it bottoms when there's still ~1cm to go before it's even full threaded.

Aside from being incredibly p****d off in general and at sherco for building a motor with the drain plug not on the bottom of the flipping motor (and for that matter, using a ridiculous 8mm bolt in a service area of the bike where it's going to be on and off constantly), what are my options?

Hummmm, never heard that one in the last 15 or so years. Although break in metal is not uncommon, you may have been unlucky in picking up a piece when reinstalling the bolt.

As long as the bolt is starting normally, you should be able to clean out the threads by gently running a tap through by hand and flushing things out with a tube on a spray can like wd40. May even run a small pick or something down the hole to feel for the culprit and break it loose.

As the hole is deep, you may need to obtain a long tap off ebay of something, or weld an extension on a standard one.

Who is your dealer? He may be able to assist in this.