Converting From Classic

wallo

To sum it up ; bloke who doesn't ride his bike and doesn't organise events, tells blokes who do ride their bikes and do organise events where they are going wrong..

Even my birth certificate isn't pre65, the sport over time can't help evolving, and numbers are bound to fall off as the bikes mean less and less to young people as they have no connection with them.

Be thankful that there's still a healthy amount of riders out and about that still wish to play around on older bikes, but maybe do appreciate a little front suspension and tyres that grip.

Lucky for you that you've had a dead original big thumper handed down to you, just get out there and ride it, or lend it me if you don't want to?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@davetom, feetupfun, otf, jonv8

riders that still wish to play around on older bikes, but maybe do appreciate a little front suspension and tyres that grip

And the sport would have been great if that is where it had been left, as you know, it has not been.

bloke who doesn't ride his bike and doesn't organise events, tells blokes who do ride their bikes and do organise events where they are going wrong..

This is what happened last time, people getting upset.  For some reason having a discussion about such an important issue seems to always devolve into 'sides'.  This is not about demonizing or getting personal, this is trying to have a discussion about facts and find solutions.  I understand many can't see that there is a problem, or benefit from the status quo, but that does not mean there isn't a problem.  And effectively (above) saying that 'we know better', clearly is the weakest argument one can offer.

The fact is that there is only one 'competitive' event left in the country that has a fairly large number of original pre65 bikes, though that event is dying too.  Ignoring that fact is not helpful.

In all other events, as Scarborough, as Somerton, as Peaks, the events have monoshocks, modified units, non-British, non-pre65 and if there are any pre-unit so-called pre65 bikes, often less than 10, then they are almost always highly modified and do not resemble the orginal bikes at all.  In other words, ouside that one event, there are a tiny number, if not no, original bikes being ridden in classic/pre65 trials and associated clubs.  Whether orgainsers are at fault or not, that is a fact.

Although not pre-unit, the BSA C15 in an earlier thread is typical of the 'evolved' bikes and associated attitudes. Compare that picture to the original bike shown on Charlie's site.  There are few to no pre65 parts on the bike.  Geometry completely different.  Frame, hubs, rims, tank, seat, ignition, bars, forks, engine casings are all highly modified.  

Anyone without a brass neck the size of nelson's column knows that that is not a pre65 bike and is probably as competitive as the best twinshocks.  Beautiful bike it may be, but fair in pre65 it is not.  Highly modified bikes are certainly a huge advantage over original bikes that they are commonly,.by organisers, pitted against on a supposedly even footing.  Just saying that that is natural progression or evolution, is disingenuous at best.  In truth, as has been admitted, it has come about through a desire to win at any cost, colloquially known as 'cheating'.  All that is fact.

It is also a fact, from Deryk's experience and obvious logic, that any 'competitive sport' must be fair.  Obviously a neo-90s twinshock vs a pre65 big thumper is not fair, but the rules do not stop it.  Obviously then riders leave, overriding any other factor including age and severity of routes.  That too is a fact.

To reverse this, organisers need to introduce rules to allow original bikes to compete against similar machines, not against highly modified non-pre65 machines, that is obvious too.

Every trial and club has their own version of the rules or a complete lack of rules.  All different.  Mostly useless. And almost all just allow anything to enter as pre65 which has caused a completely loss of original bikes from the 450+ in Deryks day and the 240+ from the 80s/90s in the southern event, all decimated now, soon to end the pre65 sport completely.  If there are no sport-wide rules, how do you know what to enter?  Do you keep a separate bike per trial?  A separate bike per club? 

I understand that many here manufacture parts or benefit from the manufacture of parts to keep the modified industry going.  But those bikes have helped to kill the sport.

I do now understand that the only way forward is to begin again (rather than expect the existing structures to change) with inclusive rules allowing fair competition, then original bikes can return to new competitive events under new competitive rules, which will happen when time allows.  I am certainly looking forward to the day that that is a reality.

I wish the rest of you the best of luck with your 'classic evolution' wherever that goes and whichever monoshock, britshock, or Tricott or whatever wild incarmation of modern/classic tricksterism takes the sports fancy next.

I will always believe that original pre65 bikes in a pre65 sport are always best for the sport, for current riders, for future riders and spectators alike. I understand that you disagree.

All the best, Spud.

Edited by ttspud