Help With A 64 Bsa C15

winchman

You feel that £200 is cheap?

I'd say it was daylight robbery - by you! The engine alone would go for more than that on eBay. Having watched a few recently I'd have been happy to bid up to about £800 on it just from looking at the photos.

Unfortunately I'd say your £2-300 budget might need a review! For example just something simple like a primary drive rebuild will take half of that straight away. But I suppose if you take your time, use secondhand parts, don't replace things unless it's absolutely necessary and do all the work yourself then you should get a decent bike for little money.

Good find!

• Like 2

What Charlie says.

Mine didn't get a full rebuild by any means, rebore, new piston, new clutch, selector shaft, sleeve gear bushes, new valves and guides plus all seals and gaskets - not much change from £500 there and it could easily be more.

My bike has the larger front engine sprocket so didn't need the crank case grinding away. It's originally a trials model so maybe the trials gearbox is lower in 1st, 2nd and third to compensate. Anyway I've managed to get the gearing I want without using the so called trials gearing 18t engine sprocket.

Check your frame and engine numbers and then have a look here:

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/engineandframenumberintro.html

Scroll down to the bottom for the link to the numbers. Frame number should be on the left side of the head stock and engine number stamped into the alloy crankcase directly below the bottom barrel fin on the left side.

Thanks Japes.

I do realise its worth spending on but its just the shock of the budget disappearing!

I have looked for an engine number and cant find one, only looked briefly for the frame number and all we can see is c15????

Going to take the engine out tonight, making a stand next week in a friends work shop so then I can have a closer look.

I was hoping to use second hand bits if possible as a couple of people have PMd me as they have some second hand bits.

What grade tube should we use for the Bobber conversion?

The clutch lever is very free as though nothing is moving so any ideas what's up with it?

Progress or lack of it.

Well its almost stripped, engines coming out tomorrow if all goes to plan then we will make a stand for it and see what needs doing.

No compression at the moment could we have a stuck valve or am I being too optimistic?

Looking at how we are hoping to make the Bobber bolt on back end and it would be easier if we could find a donor frame to take the back loop and swinging arm off, then we can just alter them to the formation he wants, has any one got one they no longer need and what should I pay? I have seen some on Ebay but they don't appear to sell well, but as usual they are all miles away.

Hi there. 

From what I understand from your introductory posts on this, the immediate purpose behind this project is as a dad and lad based thing aimed at satisfying some school/college coursework requirements. I know you are obviously keen to help the lad having got this far, but don't be tempted to plough on too far ahead yourself and try and sort it all for him. As someone who spent a while as an educator/trainer myself, I would recommend you start by reading and getting a grip on EXACTLY what the requirements are from the academic perspective: do they want to see him using particular pieces of software in creating his design for example, etc etc. Once you know where he has to get to then you can act as a guide. Surely if there is a question as to what grade steel needs to be used for the new frame section that is for him to discover? Google is a wonderful thing, and youngsters, from my experience, are pretty good with it. Or, is the idea that he is able to demonstrate some technical (eg brazing or welding) skills? There is a bicycle making academy down in the South West, maybe speak to them for a tailor-made short course for the lad, or google one of the pre65 frame builders and ask if he could go along for a chat and see how it is really done, perhaps with a little 'hands on' time??

As others have said, you've found a bike for a great price. Before going very much further I would at least consider selling it on for what its worth and then reinvest your total (proably approx 1K including your original budget) in something that is as cheap as the first, but now with a much bigger budget to play with (especially with what you have planned for it eventually)...... You might be able to create a rigid Bantam or James trials bike (with lots of jap parts, hubs/wheels/forks) for under a grand,  or even compromise on this and send the lad on some practical training as above, to add to the the software that he is undoubtedly learning at school.

Anyways, back to the main thread, set the lad up so that he is providing YOU with the answers, that way he's going to come away with some new found skills and confidence and a project that gets him some results. The last thing you want is to have to abort things for the sake of money when in fact you have plenty sat right in front of you now.

Good luck

Edited by norman_wisdom
  • Like 1

Thanks Norman

Firstly the man I bought it from was doing me a favour selling it so cheap so I don't feel its right just to sell it on for profit, and my son likes the idea of an older bike.

I fully support what you are saying and don't want to build it for him. My only input is I wanted to make it a Bolt On Bobber conversion as I don't want to spoil what is a nice classic and he actually agrees.

Basically the brief is build or modify anything as long as you do a good write up showing how you did it, how you got help skills you learned what when wrong etc, the main task is to show learning and recording these learning's.

He has spoken to the school and they have approved the idea and I have explained to him just how hard and time consuming it will be but at the moment I am struggling to keep him out of the garage.

I purposely do the research but don't tell him I have done it so he has to do a lot himself and if he gets it wrong I can steer him in the right direction.

Luckily I have access to a well equipped workshop and can teach him many of the skills my self, he got a Multi meter and socket set for Christmas and has taken to the socket set no problem but he will soon see the benefit of the meter once we hit an electrical problem.

Its interesting to see how he wants to extend the frame at the rear by 4" as he can see in his mind what he wants having spent hours googling pictures. He wants a brass fire extinguisher for the oil tank too so its a bit out of the ordinary, he has a lot of the ideas in his head so I am pushing him to get them on paper both good and bad as its all evidence of the learning and recording process.

Completely understand your point about reselling the bike, and it looks like you are taking a positive approach all round.

Very best of luck with it!

Thanks Norman.

Always looking for guidance as its so easy to get carried away and do it all for him!

Going to try and do some more tomorrow before work

Hi Guy's.

Wise words from Norman.

Dave you are a proud parent and want to do the best for you sons future.

I have been there and got the Tee shirt, and we never stop trying.

Look help but try not to make all of the decisions.

My eldest was just like all children should be over ambitious at the time and we did all the stuff you are doing.

Short story,  after building a cycle frame from scratch.

He went on to do a product design course at Coventry Uni.

Got his degree , and was offered a job at Pashley Cycles from Stratford on Avon, where above all things he was part of designing the New Cycle trials bikes and running the team.

He then went on to run his own company Hidden-Nation for BMX bikes, sold this and became a product designer for two major international  companies. and is now quite near to the top of the heap in one.

But he has not forgot his past and has set up a cycle company for his wife to run, to get back into bikes and motorcycles.

So don't give up keep on pushing but from the background.

The bike below was built for his sister-in law. the present company logo on the down tube,

Happy New Year.

Charlie.

post-2608-0-54993800-1451521305_thumb.jpg